Shire of Eltham
|Shire of Eltham|
Location in outer Melbourne
|• Density||161.66/km2 (418.7/sq mi)|
|Area||277.13 km2 (107.0 sq mi)|
The Shire of Eltham was a local government area about 25 kilometres (16 mi) northeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 277.13 square kilometres (107.0 sq mi), and existed from 1856 until 1994.
On 18 June 1958, it lost its 218 km2 (84.2 sq mi) East Riding to the Shire of Healesville. This area comprised Yarra Glen, Dixons Creek and parts of Christmas Hills. It also lost part of its North Riding, near Kinglake, to the Shire of Yea, on 1 October 1972.
On 15 December 1994, the Shire of Eltham was abolished, and, along with parts of the Shire of Diamond Valley, was merged into the newly created Shire of Nillumbik. The Kinglake district was transferred to the Shire of Murrindindi, while Montmorency and Lower Plenty, in the shire's far southwest, were transferred to the City of Banyule.
The Shire of Eltham was divided into three ridings on 16 March 1955, each of which elected three councillors:
- Central Riding
- North Riding
- West Riding
Suburbs and localities
- Briar Hill (shared with the Shire of Diamond Valley)
- Christmas Hills (shared with the Shire of Healesville)
- Cottles Bridge
- Greensborough (shared with the Shire of Diamond Valley)
- Hurstbridge (shared with the City of Whittlesea and the Shire of Diamond Valley)
- Kangaroo Ground
- Kinglake (shared with the Shire of Yea)
- Lower Plenty
- Panton Hill
- Smiths Gully
- St Andrews
- Warrandyte North
- Watsons Creek
- Wattle Glen (shared with the Shire of Diamond Valley)
* Estimate in 1958 Victorian Year Book.
Books on the Shire of Eltham
- Marshall, Alan, Pioneers and Painters: One Hundred years of Eltham and its Shire Melbourne, Thomas Nelson, 1971 ISBN 0-17-001948-9
- Marshall, Marguerite, Nillumbik Now and Then Research, Vic. MPrint Publications, 2008 ISBN 978-0-646-49122-6
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 49. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Monash University (1999). "Australian Places - Eltham". Archived from the original on 21 August 2006. Retrieved 5 January 2008.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 666–667. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 4,10. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 16 December 2007.