Shire of Meekatharra
|Shire of Meekatharra
Location in Western Australia
|Population||1,521 (2013 est)|
|• Density||0.015091/km2 (0.039085/sq mi)|
|Area||100,789 km2 (38,914.9 sq mi)|
|State electorate(s)||North West|
|Website||Shire of Meekatharra|
The Shire of Meekatharra is a local government area in the Mid West region of Western Australia, about halfway between the town of Port Hedland and the state capital, Perth, Western Australia. The Shire covers an area of 100,789 square kilometres (38,915 sq mi), and its seat of government is the town of Meekatharra.
The Meekatharra Road District was gazetted in 1909, and became a shire on 1 July 1961 under the Local Government Act 1960.
The shire is divided into three wards:
- Town Ward (five councillors)
- Nannine Ward (two councillors)
- Peak Hill Ward (two councillors)
Towns and localities
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 3 April 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 May 2007.