Shire of Menzies
|Shire of Menzies
Location in Western Australia
|Population||231 (2011 est)|
|• Density||0.001853/km2 (0.004800/sq mi)|
|Area||124,635 km2 (48,121.8 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Menzies|
The Shire of Menzies is a local government area in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia located to the north of Kalgoorlie. It covers an area of 124,635 square kilometres (48,122 sq mi), and its seat of government is the town of Menzies.
The Menzies Municipality was gazetted in 1895. It was dissolved and included in the North Coolgardie Road District in 1912, which was itself dissolved the same year to form the Menzies, Kookynie and Mount Malcolm Road Districts. In 1918, Kookynie was merged into Menzies, which on 1 July 1961 became a shire under the Local Government Act 1960.
The shire is divided into three wards:
- Menzies Ward (three councillors)
- Kookynie Ward (three councillors)
- Ularring Ward (one councillor)
Towns and localities
- Comet Vale
- Mount Ida
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 30 March 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 2.0), 31 May 2003.