Shire of Mount Alexander
|Shire of Mount Alexander
Location in Victoria
|Population||17,591 (2011 census)|
|• Density||11.505/km2 (29.798/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||19 January 1995|
|Area||1,529 km2 (590.4 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Michael Redden|
|State electorate(s)||Bendigo West|
|Website||Shire of Mount Alexander|
The Shire of Mount Alexander is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the central part of the state. It covers an area of 1,529 square kilometres (590 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 17,591. It includes the towns of Castlemaine, Maldon, Newstead, Harcourt, Taradale, Vaughan, Fryerstown and Campbells Creek. It was formed in 1995 from the amalgamation of the City of Castlemaine, Shire of Newstead, and most of the Shire of Maldon and Shire of Metcalfe.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Mount Alexander Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Castlemaine, it also has service centres located in Maldon and Newstead. The Shire is named after the original name for the Castlemaine region and goldfields.
The council is composed of five wards and seven councillors, with three councillors elected to represent the Castlemaine Ward and one councillor per remaining ward elected to represent each of the other wards.
|Loddon||Michael Redden||Mayor (2013–14)|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Castlemaine Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Castlemaine, and its service centres in Maldon and Newstead.
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Mount Alexander (S) – LGA25430". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S2 of 1995". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 19 January 1995). p. 4. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Mount Alexander Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
Media related to Shire of Mount Alexander at Wikimedia Commons
- Mount Alexander Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps