Shire of Nillumbik
|Shire of Nillumbik|
Map of Melbourne showing Shire of Nillumbik
|• Density||140.86/km2 (364.8/sq mi)|
|Area||435 km2 (168.0 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Peter Clarke|
|Website||Shire of Nillumbik|
The Shire of Nillumbik is a local government area in Victoria, Australia. It contains outer northern suburbs of Melbourne and rural localities beyond the urban area. It has an area of 435 square kilometres and at the 2016 Census, the Shire had a population of 61,273. It was formed in 1994 from the merger of parts of the Shires of Eltham, Diamond Valley, Healesville and the City of Whittlesea. The Shire uses the tag-line The Green Wedge Shire.
On 13 October 1998, Nillumbik Council was suspended by then Local Government minister Rob Maclellan, with the state government declaring that infighting was affecting the ability of the council to function.
The current council was elected in October 2016 for a four-year term.
|Blue Lake||Grant Brooker|
|Bunjil||Karen Egan||Deputy Mayor|
|Swipers Gully||Bruce Ranken|
- Greensborough (shared with the City of Banyule)
- Diamond Creek
- Doreen (shared with the City of Whittlesea)
- Eltham North (shared with the City of Banyule)
- North Warrandyte
- Wattle Glen
Towns, townships and rural localities
- Arthurs Creek
- Bend of Islands
- Christmas Hills
- Cottles Bridge
- Kangaroo Ground
- Kinglake (shared with the Shire of Murrindindi)
- Kinglake West (shared with the City of Whittlesea and Shire of Murrindindi)
- Panton Hill
- Smiths Gully
- St Andrews
- Watsons Creek
- Yan Yean (shared with the City of Whittlesea)
Eltham Library and Diamond Valley Library located in Greensborough are operated by Yarra Plenty Regional Library A mobile library service is also operated by Yarra Plenty Regional Library serving the locations of Doreen, Panton Hill, St Andrews, Hurstbridge, North Warrandye, Kangaroo Ground, Diamond Creek and Christmas Hills.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Nillumbik (S)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Nillumbik Shire – eMelbourne
- "#33 – The council conundrum". The Age. Fairfax News Store. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "BankWest Quality of Life Index 2008" (PDF). BankWest Quality of Life Index 2008. BankWest. 20 August 2008. p. 8. Archived from the original (pdf) on 25 February 2009. Retrieved 3 September 2008.
- "Nillumbik Shire Council profile".
- "Yarra Plenty Regional Library".
- Official website
- Public Transport Victoria local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
- Yarra Plenty Regional Library
- Eltham District Historical Society
- Local Community Wiki
- Living and Learning in Nillumbik