Shire of Pittsworth
|Shire of Pittsworth
Location within Queensland
|Population||4,688 (2006 census)|
|• Density||4.3029/km2 (11.1444/sq mi)|
|Area||1,089.5 km2 (420.7 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Pittsworth|
The Shire of Pittsworth was a local government area in the Darling Downs region of Queensland, Australia, about 40 kilometres (25 mi) southwest of the regional city of Toowoomba. The shire covered an area of 1,089.5 square kilometres (420.7 sq mi), and existed as a local government entity from 1913 until 2008, when it amalgamated with several other councils in the Toowoomba area to form the Toowoomba Region.
The Shire of Pittsworth came into existence on 24 April 1913 after its residents voted to split away from the Shire of Jondaryan. It held its first meeting on 9 July 1913 at which W.P. Copp was elected chairman by 5 votes to 4. A new hall and council office was built for ₤766 in 1914, but in 1956 the council relocated to the new Civic Centre in Yandilla Street, Pittsworth, consisting of a Town Hall and Shire Chambers. Pittsworth was an undivided council and elected a mayor and six councillors.
On 15 March 2008, under the Local Government (Reform Implementation) Act 2007 passed by the Parliament of Queensland on 10 August 2007, the Shire of Pittsworth merged with the City of Toowoomba and the Shires of Cambooya, Clifton, Crows Nest, Jondaryan, Millmerran and Shire of Rosalie to form the Toowoomba Region.
Towns and localities
The Shire of Pittsworth includes the following settlements:
Chairmen and Mayors
The leaders of the shire are listed below.
- 1913–15: William Perham Copp
- 1915–17: Jacob Bickerton
- 1917–18: William Sullivan
- 1918–21: Arthur Carl Krieg
- 1921–23: Jacob Bickerton
- 1923: Jonas Holmes
- 1923–36: Arthur Carl Krieg
- 1936–39: William Lee-Archer
- 1939–46: Arthur Carl Krieg
- 1946–49: William Lee-Archer
- 1949–57: Sir Alan Roy Fletcher
- 1957–67: Leslie Joppich
- 1967–85: Ross Thomas Stirling
- 1985–94: Lawrence Dudley Stallman
- 1994–98: W J Drummond
- 1998–2008: Ros S Scotney
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Pittsworth (S) (Local Government Area)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Pittsworth Shire Council (2004). "Pittsworth Shire Council – the First Beginnings". Archived from the original on 2008-07-19. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "Pittsworth Shire Council Past Chairmen and Mayors". Toowoomba Regional Council. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Pittsworth Shire Council". Official Website. Pittsworth Shire Council. Archived from the original on 7 October 2007.