Shire of Pyrenees
|Shire of Pyrenees
Location in Victoria
|Population||6,669 (2011 census)|
|• Density||1.9426/km2 (5.0314/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||23 September 1994|
|Area||3,433 km2 (1,325.5 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Tanya Kehoe|
|Website||Shire of Pyrenees|
The Shire of Pyrenees is a local government area (LGA) in Victoria, Australia, located in the western part of the state. It covers an area of 3,433 square kilometres (1,325 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 6,669. It includes the towns of Avoca, Beaufort, Lexton and Trawalla. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Avoca, Shire of Lexton and Shire of Ripon.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Pyrenees Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Beaufort, it also has a service centre located in Avoca. The Shire is named after the major geographical feature in the region, The Pyrenees, which is located in the north of the LGA.
The council is composed of five wards and five councillors, with one councillor per ward elected to represent each ward.
|De Cameron||Robert Vance|
|Mount Emu||Tanya Kehoe||Mayor (2014–15)|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Beaufort Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Beaufort, and its service centre in Avoca.
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Pyrenees (S) – LGA25990". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S63 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 23 September 1994). pp. 16–23. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S4 of 1995". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 20 January 1995). p. 5. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Pyrenees Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Pyrenees Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
- Avoca and District Historical Society Inc
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|