Shire of Quilpie
|Shire of Quilpie
Location in Queensland
|• Density||0.012021/km2 (0.031133/sq mi)|
|Area||67,633.5 km2 (26,113.4 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Quilpie|
The Shire of Quilpie is a local government area in South West Queensland, Australia. It covers an area of 67,633.5 square kilometres (26,113.4 sq mi), and its administrative centre is the town of Quilpie.
The dominant industry is grazing. Opal fields are also worked within the shire.
The Shire was created on 17 July 1930 from parts of the Shires of Barcoo, Murweh and Paroo and part of the abolished Shire of Adavale and all of the abolished Shire of Bulloo. However, on 4 July 1931, the Shire of Bulloo was re-instated.
Chairmen and mayors
- 1930-1933 H. J. Pegler
- 1997 - 2011 P. David Edwards
- 2008 - David Edwards
- 2012 - Stuart Mackenzie
- 2016 - Stuart Mackenzie
Towns and localities
The Shire of Quilpie includes the following settlements:
Notable people from Quilpie
- Vaughan Johnson, Queensland state politician
- Ewen Jones, Australian federal politician
- Professor Don Markwell, social scientist and educational leader
- Sandy McPhie, former Queensland state politician
- Justine Saunders, late Australian actor
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 March 2011). "Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2009–10". Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Agency ID2448, Quilpie Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Agency ID9651, Bulloo Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "History of Council". Quilpie Shire Council. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Quilpie Shire Council Annual Report 2011-2012". Quilpie Shire Council. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "2008 Quilpie Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "2012 Quilpie Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Electoral Commission of Queensland. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "Quilpie Shire Council - Mayoral Election - Election Summary". Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- Jenkins, Lesley (January 2001). Lure of the Land: A Brief History of the Quilpie Shire (PDF).
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|