Shire of Taringa
The Shire of Taringa is a former local government area of Queensland, Australia, located in western Brisbane. Its administrative centre was Taringa (now a suburb of City of Brisbane). It existed from 1890 to 1925.
Toowong Division was one of the original divisions created on 11 November 1879 under the Divisional Boards Act of 1879. On 20 May 1880, the more populated area of the district was proclaimed as the Shire of Toowong, with the remaining part of the Toowong Division being renamed Indooroopilly Division on 2 June 1880.
In 1890, residents in the Taringa area of the Indooroopilly Division began to agitate for the establishment of a separate division for Taringa. Their rationale was that the area around Taringa railway station had grown in population and was of a suburban character and that the interests of this community were different from those of the farming community that comprised the rest of Indooroopilly Division. On 11 October 1890, Taringa Division was separated from Indooroopilly Division.
With the passage of the Local Authorities Act 1902, Taringa Division became a Shire on 31 March 1903.
- "Proclamation [Toowong Division constituted]". Queensland Government Gazette. 11 November 1879. p. 25:993.
- "Agency ID10768, Indooroopilly Divisional Board". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Our Queensland Letter". Australian Town and Country Journal. NSW: National Library of Australia. 16 August 1890. p. 10. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Proclamation" (PDF). Queensland Government Gazette. 51: 436. 11 October 1890.
- "Agency ID9630, Taringa Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- "Order in Council". Queensland Government Gazette. 26 September 1925. p. 125:1288.
- "SUMMARY OF NEWS". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 31 January 1901. p. 4. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "Mayors and Chairmen of Councils Who Were Entertained Yesterday By Alderman Jolly". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 1 October 1925. p. 9. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- "Taringa". Queensland Places. Centre for the Government of Queensland, University of Queensland.