Shire of Towong
|Shire of Towong
Location in Victoria
|Population||5,762 (2015 est)|
|• Density||0.86348/km2 (2.2364/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||18 November 1994|
|Area||6,673 km2 (2,576.5 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr David Wortmann|
|Website||Shire of Towong|
The Shire of Towong is a local government area in the Hume region of Victoria, Australia, located in the north-east part of the state. It covers an area of 6,673 square kilometres (2,576 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 5,891. It includes the towns of Corryong and Tallangatta. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Tallangatta and Shire of Upper Murray.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Towong Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Tallangatta, it also has a service centre located in Corryong. The Shire is named after an earlier shire, the Shire of Towong (1874–1920), which occupied the same region as the current LGA.
The council is composed of five councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Tallangatta Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Tallangatta, and its service centre in Corryong.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S87 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 18 November 1994). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Towong (S) – LGA26670". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Towong Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- Towong Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|