Shire of Wellington
|Shire of Wellington
Location in Victoria
|Population||41,965 (2015 est)|
|• Density||3.81882/km2 (9.8907/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||2 December 1994|
|Area||10,989 km2 (4,242.9 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Darren McCubbin|
|Website||Shire of Wellington|
The Shire of Wellington is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the eastern part of the state. It covers an area of 10,989 square kilometres (4,243 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 41,440. It includes the towns of Heyfield, Rosedale, Maffra, Sale, Stratford, Coongulla, Newry, Tinamba and Yarram. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Alberton, Shire of Avon, Shire of Maffra, City of Sale and parts of the Shire of Rosedale.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Wellington Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Sale, it also has service centres located in Maffra, Stratford and Rosedale. The Shire is named after a major geographical feature in the region, Lake Wellington, which is located in the south-east of the LGA.
The council is composed of nine councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
|Carolyn Crossley||Mayor (2014-15)|
|Darren McCubbin||Mayor (2015-16)|
|Scott Rossetti||Mayor (2012–13, 2013–14)|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Sale Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Sale, and its service centres in Maffra, Stratford and Rosedale.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S94 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 2 December 1994). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Wellington (S) – LGA26810". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Wellington Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Wellington Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|