Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley
|Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
|Population||8,652 (2013 est)|
|• Density||0.073625/km2 (0.190689/sq mi)|
|Area||117,514 km2 (45,372.4 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley|
The Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley is one of the four local government areas in the Kimberley Region of northern Western Australia, covering an area of 117,514 square kilometres (45,372 sq mi) at Western Australia's northeastern corner. The Shire's seat of government was originally in Wyndham but now in the town of Kununurra, which is home to over half of the Shire's permanent population of 8,300 (ABS 2001), while a council office is located at Wyndham.
In 1887, the East Kimberley Road District was gazetted. In 1896, its name was changed to the Wyndham Road District. On 1 July 1961, it became the Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley under the Local Government Act 1960.
The early 1960s establishment of Kununurra and the Ord River Irrigation Area eventually led to moving the seat of local government from Wyndham to Kununurra, which by the 1980s had become a larger centre of population.
The Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley has nine (9) Councillors elected to represent the whole of the Shire. Currently all offices of council are vacant as declared by the Governor of Western Australia on 28 September 2016.
Commissioner Ron Yuryevich was appointed as commissioner of the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley on Wednesday 28 September 2016 and his appointment will remain in place until the next scheduled local government elections.
Towns and localities
- Dodnun community
- Kandiwal community
- Lake Argyle
- Ngallagunda Community
- Pago Community
- Woolah (Doon Doon) Community
- National Parks
- Marine Parks
- North Lalang-garram Marine Park
- Lalang-garram / Camden Sound Marine Park
- Lalang-garram / Horizontal Falls Marine Park (Also covers areas in the Shire of Derby West Kimberley)
- Nature Reserves & Conservation Parks
- Parry Lagoons Nature Reserve
- Pelican Island Nature Reserve
- Point Spring Nature Reserve
- Ord River Nature Reserve
- Barrbem Conservation Park
- Darram Conservation Park
- Goomig Conservation Park
- Jemarnde-wooningim Conservation Park
- Laterite Conservation Park
- Mijing Conservation Park
- Ngamoowalem Conservation Park
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 3 April 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 May 2007.
- "SMH Travel - Lake Argyle Village". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2 December 2013. Check date values in:
|year= / |date= mismatch(help)
- Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley website. Accessed 2006-10-27
- Official website
- Official Facebook Page Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
- "Map of Aboriginal Communities in East Kimberley" (PDF). (211 KB). Department of Indigenous Affairs (DIA).
- Kununurra Historical Society Inc. Archive, Library, Museum & Research website with history and links to images of the Shire.