Shirley Paget, Marchioness of Anglesey
Elizabeth Shirley Vaughan Paget, Marchioness of Anglesey, DBE, LVO (née Morgan; 4 December 1924 – 21 January 2017), better known as Dame Shirley Paget, was a British public servant and writer and the daughter of novelists Charles Langbridge Morgan and Hilda Vaughan.
Before marriage she worked in the Foreign Office as personal secretary to Gladwyn Jebb. She was President of the National Federation of Women's Institutes 1966-1969, a board member of the British Council 1985-1995, chairman of the Broadcasting Complaints Commission 1987-1991, and vice-chairman of the Museums and Galleries Commission 1989-1996.
As an author she wrote The Countrywoman's Year (1960).
She married Henry Paget, 7th Marquess of Anglesey (8 October 1922 – 13 July 2013) on 16 October 1948. Upon her marriage her surname became Paget and she gained the title, Marchioness of Anglesey.
Their marriage produced five children:
- Lady Henrietta Charlotte Eiluned Paget (b. 31 July 1949), married to Timothy Megarry
- Charles Alexander Vaughan Paget, 8th Marquess of Anglesey (b. 13 November 1950)
- Lady Elizabeth Sophia Rhiannon Paget (b. 14 May 1954), married to Robert D. Keir
- Lord Rupert Edward Llywellyn Paget (b. 21 July 1957), married to Louise Victoria Youngman, with two children, Jack William (b. 1989) and Lily Florence (b. 1992)
- Lady Amelia Myfanwy Polly Paget (b. 12 September 1963), married to Andrew Michael Singleton
Her brother, Roger Morgan, was Librarian of the House of Lords. She died in January 2017 at the age of 92.
She was invested as a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1977. She was invested as a Dame Commander, Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 1983. She was later invested as a Lieutenant, Royal Victorian Order (LVO).
- "ANGLESEY, Dowager Marchioness of,". Who's Who. 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- "The 7th Marquis of Anglesey (obituary)". The Telegraph. 15 July 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- The countrywoman's year. 364 pp. (Joseph: 1960); ASIN: B0000CKQ92
- Shirley Paget (Morgan) Anglesey DBE obituary
- Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 25.
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 71.
- The Peerage.com
- Brief profile of Shirley Paget, Marchioness of Anglesey
- Profile of Charles Langbridge Morgan
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|