Shirley railway station (England)
Shirley railway station in 2011.
|Managed by||West Midlands Trains|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Transport for West Midlands|
|Key dates||Opened 1908|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Shirley from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Shirley railway station serves the Shirley area of Solihull in the West Midlands of England. Situated on the North Warwickshire Line, the station, and all trains serving it, are operated by West Midlands Trains.
The station was opened by the Great Western Railway on 1 June 1908, along with the line. It was considered an important station and was provided with substantial brick built buildings. The station was also provided with a goods yard and shed, which lasted until 1968.
Until October 2010, Shirley station was the terminus for many commuter services from Birmingham which didn't run through to Stratford. These services were extended to terminate at the next station Whitlocks End, with the commissioning of a new turnback facility. This was done in order to alleviate traffic congestion at Shirley station, by encouraging commuters to drive to Whitlocks End, which had space for proper park and ride facilities. The 1907 built signalbox that stood on the Stratford-upon-Avon bound platform became redundant, and was demolished at the end of 2010, despite a local campaign to see its retention.
During Monday to Saturday daytimes:
- 3 trains per hour northbound to Birmingham Moor Street and Birmingham Snow Hill continuing to Stourbridge Junction, with some trains continuing onward to Kidderminster and Worcester.
- 3 trains per hour southbound to Whitlocks End, one of which continues to Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Train times and station information for Shirley railway station (England) from National Rail
- Rail Around Birmingham and the West Midlands: Shirley railway station
- Railways of Warwickshire entry
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Yardley Wood||West Midlands Railway
North Warwickshire Line