|Headquarters||Chūō, Tokyo, Japan|
|Masahiko Uotani (President and CEO)|
|Revenue||¥723,485 million (FY2007)|
|¥35,460 million (FY2007)|
Number of employees
Beaute Prestige International
Shiseido Company, Limited (株式会社資生堂 Kabushiki-gaisha Shiseidō, Japanese: [ɕiseeꜜdoː]) is a Japanese multinational personal care company, that is a skin care, hair care, cosmetics and fragrance producer. It is one of the oldest cosmetics companies in the world. Founded in 1872, it celebrated its 140th anniversary in 2012. It is the largest cosmetic firm in Japan and the fifth largest cosmetics company in the world. Shiseido is only available at cosmetic counters at selected department stores or pharmacists. The company owns numerous brands and subsidiaries worldwide, in addition to its founding label. The company is headquartered in Tokyo, and trades on the Tokyo stock exchange, it is a chief competitor of SK-II.
Arinobu Fukuhara, former head pharmacist to the Japanese Imperial Navy, established the Shiseido Pharmacy in 1872. After a visit to the United States and Europe, Arinobu added a soda fountain to the store. This later grew into the Shiseido Parlour restaurant business, and eventually led to the introduction of ice cream in Japan. The name Shiseido can be translated as "praise the virtues of the earth which nurtures new life and brings forth significant values".
In 1917, Shiseido introduced Rainbow Face Powder. This was a face powder with seven colors in a period when white face powders were the norm in Japan. In 1923, the company began expanding its store-base; it now[timeframe?] has approximately 25,000 outlets. A joint-stock company was formed in 1927.
In 1957, Shiseido began sales in Taiwan, closely followed by Singapore and Hong Kong. In 1962, Shiseido expanded to Hawaii; in 1965, it established Shiseido Cosmetics America. European sales began with Italy in 1968 and Oceania with New Zealand in 1971.
Finances and operations
In the first quarter of 2013, Shiseido made a profit of ¥2.66 billion (US$26.87 million) on sales of ¥162.36bn (US$1.64bn). On 15 July 2013, Shiseido announced it was opening a wholly owned subsidiary in India. On 20 February 2014, Shiseido agreed to sell its Carita and Decléor brands to L’Oréal for €227.5M (US$312.93M). This sale resulted in Shiseido showing profits despite running into losses.
In February 2016, Masahiko Uotani was replaced as the CEO.
Shiseido produces a line of cosmetics simply called "The Makeup" that provide a full range of products including lip products, powder eye shadows, eye liner pencils, mascara, fluid and compact foundations, concealers, and powder blush. Their hydro powder eye shadows which have a creamy texture are among Allure magazine's top beauty picks.
In 2017, Shiseido's subsidiary company, NARS Cosmetics, announced it was going to start testing their products on animals. In defense of its decision, the company stated "We have decided to make NARS available in China because we feel it is important to bring our vision of beauty and artistry to fans in the region. Nars does not test on animals or ask others to do so on our behalf, except where required by law".
- Weil, Jennifer (24 December 2013). "Shiseido Names New President and CEO". WWD. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- SHISEIDO Frequently Asked Questions - SHISEIDO USA - FAQ 1.
- Five Good-Looking Cosmetic Stocks - Seeking Alpha
- Japan's Shiseido Agrees to Acquire Bare Escentuals - WSJ.com
- COSMETICS - Shiseido - VEPA GROUP Archived 2009-04-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- About Shiseido - BANBATSU SHISEI (The Origins) Archived 2009-12-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- History. Shiseido Group.
- SHISEIDO Sodium Hyaluronate :History - shiseido.co.jp
- Wetherille, Kelly (July 31, 2013). "Shiseido Swings to Black in Q1". WWD. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Wetherille, Kelly (July 19, 2013). "Shiseido Sets Subsidiary in India". WWD. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Kaiser, Amanda (19 February 2014). "Shiseido Sells Carita, Decléor to L'Oréal". WWD. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Allure Best of Beauty 2008 - Allure.com
- "Nars make-up boycotted, after cosmetics tested on animals in China". BBC. 28 June 2017. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shiseido.|
- Shiseido Global (in English)
- Shiseido – brand and company profile at Fashion Model Directory
- Shiseido launch charity auction for Japan tsunami victims