Shiv Nadar (right) receives the UK Trade & Investment Business Person of the Year Award in 2009
14 July 1945 |
Moolaipozhi Village, Tirunelveli District, Madras Presidency, British India.
|Residence||New Delhi, Chennai|
|Alma mater||PSG College of Technology|
|Occupation||Founder and chairman of the HCL
Founder of SSN Trust
|Net worth||US$17 billion (August 2015)|
Shiv Nadar (born 14 July 1945) is an Indian industrialist and philanthropist. He is the founder and chairman of HCL and the Shiv Nadar Foundation. As of 2015[update], his personal wealth is estimated at $13.7 Billion. Nadar founded HCL in the mid-1970s and transformed the IT hardware company into an IT Enterprise over the next three decades by constantly reinventing his company's focus. In 2008, Nadar was awarded Padma Bhushan for his efforts in the IT industry. Nadar, nicknamed by friends as Magus (Old Persian for Wizard), since mid-1990s has focused his efforts in developing the educational system of India through the Shiv Nadar Foundation. Shiv Nadar is the brother of famous tamil novelist Ramanichandran.
Early life and education
Nadar was born in 1945 in Moolaipozhi village, about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) from Tiruchendur in Thoothukudi district (present ), Tamil Nadu, India. His parents were Sivasubramaniya Nadar and Vamasundari Devi. Nadar's mother, Vamasundari Devi, is the sister of S. P. Adithanar, founder of Dina Thanthi newspaper.
Nadar studied at Town Higher Secondary School, Kumbakonam. He got admission in the first form (Sixth Standard) on 29 June 1955 and continued his education in Town High School till 1 June 1957. Nadar received a pre-University degree in The American College, Madurai and degree in Electrical And Electronics Engineering from PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore.
Nadar began his career at Walchand group's Cooper Engineering in Pune in 1967. he soon gave it up to begin his own venture, in partnerships with several friends and colleagues. These partners were Ajai Chowdhry (Ex-Chairman, HCL Infosystems), Arjun Malhotra (CEO and Chairman, Headstrong), Subhash Arora, Yogesh Vaidya, S. Raman, Mahendra Pratap and DS Puri,
The initial enterprise which Nadar and his partners began was Microcomp, a company which focused on selling teledigital calculators in the Indian market. HCL was founded later, in 1976, with an investment of Rs. 187,000.
In 1980, HCL ventured into the international market with the opening of Far East Computers in Singapore to sell IT hardware. The venture reported Rs 1 million revenue in the first year and continued to address the Singapore operations. Nadar remained the largest shareholder without retaining any management control.
Focus on education and healthcare
In 1996, Nadar founded SSN College of Engineering in Chennai, Tamil Nadu in the name of his father, Sivasubramaniya Nadar. Nadar takes active role in the college activities including gifting of Rs. 1 million worth of HCL shares to the college. In 2006, Nadar announced that the college will promote research apart from ensuring that students benefit from foreign university tie-ups. Nadar joined the Executive Board of Indian School of Business in 2005. In March 2008, Nadar's SSN Trust announced setting up of two Vidyagyan schools in UP for rural students where free scholarship will be provided for 200 students from 50 districts of Uttar Pradesh. He visited Town Higher Secondary School on 8 February 2011 and generously donated computers and other equipment worth Rs. 80 lakhs. He is currently the chairman of IIT Kharagpur, the elite technical institute of India.
Awards and accolades
In 2007, Madras University awarded him honorary doctorate degree (D Sc) for his contributions in promoting software technology. Nadar was also recognised as E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year 2007 (Services).
In 1995 he became the Dataquest IT Man of the year. In 2005 he was bestowed with CNBC Business Excellence Award. In 2006 received an Honorary Fellowship of All India Management Association-AIMA. In 2009 he was counted amongst Forbes 48 Heroes of Philanthropy in Asia Pacific. In 2010 received Dataquest Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Sharma, Vishwamitra (2003). Famous Indians of the 20th century. New Delhi: Pustak Mahal. p. 220. ISBN 81-223-0829-5.
- "Shiv Nadar - Forbes". Forbes. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- Arvind Padmanabham. "Shiv Nadar completes 25 years of success". Rediff. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- Vijay (15 September 2011). "Shiv Nadar Foundation forays into elementary education". Machinist.in. Retrieved 6 December 2011.
- Vikas Pota. India Inc: how India's top ten entrepreneurs are winning globally. Nicholas Brealey Publishing, 2009. p. 179. ISBN 1-85788-524-4.
- "Prominent Students of Our School". Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- Harish Damodharan (16 September 2008). India's New Capitalists: Caste, Business, and Industry in a Modern Nation. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 191. ISBN 978-0-230-20507-9.
- "Wanna be a CEO? Join HCL". Indiatimes. 15 April 2005. Retrieved 3 April 2008.
- "The amazing story of the birth of HCL". Moneycontrol. 9 June 2007. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "HCL Group: The M&A Year". DQ Group. 25 July 2002. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "HCL GROUP – The Change Agents". DQ India. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "The dark horse of the technology sector". Moneycontrol. 7 May 2007. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "Shiv Nadar gifts HCL Tech shares to Chennai Trust". The Hindu. India. 25 July 2001. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "SSN engineering college to step up high-end research". The Hindu. India. 1 March 2006. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "Shiv Nadar joins ISB executive board". The Hindu. India. 5 October 2004. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "India Inc shines on civilian honour rolls". The Economic Times. India. 27 January 2008. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "Honorary doctorate for Balachander, Nadar". The Hindu. India. 11 November 2007. Retrieved 26 March 2008.
- "Honorary Entrepreneur Of The Year 2007 – Services". Ernst & Young. Retrieved 26 March 2008.[dead link]
- Profile at HCL
- Profile at Forbes
- Shiv Nadar collected news and commentary at The Times of India
- K@W Interview with Shiv Nadar
- CNN Interview with Shiv Nadar