Shiv Nadar University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chancellor||S N Balakrishnan|
|Location||Dadri,Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh|
Shiv Nadar University (or SNU) is a private interdisciplinary research university founded in 2011 in Dadri, Uttar Pradesh in India. It was founded as part of a series of initiatives launched by the Shiv Nadar Foundation, a private philanthropic foundation funded by Shiv Nadar, founder and chairman of HCL.
The University's stated aim is "to create an enduring, research-led, inter-disciplinary university.". The University was established by the Act no. 12 of 2011 of State Legislature of Uttar Pradesh as a State Private University, and was empowered by the UGC to award degrees under Section 22 of the UGC Act, 1956. The University started the Engineering Majors in the Academic Year 2011-12 with the approval of the AICTE. The University is currently registered with DSIR, Government of India as a Research Institution.
In 1994, Nadar established Shiv Nadar Foundation (SNF) and created its first initiative in Chennai, the SSN Institutions. The Foundation was a significant driver of social change and education through institutions spanning the education spectrum from schools to colleges. The SNF decided to build a unique research-led interdisciplinary university that can be identified as India's first Ivy League institution. In the early 2010s a 286-acre land plot near the town of Dadri was earmarked for building the campus. The university started with an undergraduate curriculum that was unique and unprecedented in India. The curriculum was designed to allow students to major in a particular subject while also studying and experimenting with a range of other minor and elective subjects and getting degrees with minors/ specialisations.
Prof. Rupamanjari Ghosh is the current Vice Chancellor of Shiv Nadar University. She took charge as the VC in February 2016. She was preceded by the University's Founding Vice Chancellor Dr. Nikhil Sinha, who served the University for almost 5 years.
The University has 17 departments across 5 schools.
- School of Engineering
- School of Extended Education and Professional Development
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Management and Entrepreneurship
- School of Natural Sciences
All the courses at the university are taught in English.
From 2011 to 2016, the University received Extramural Grants of over ₹17.03 crores for more than 52 active research projects, many of which are in collaboration with international universities. Researchers include faculty members, post-doctoral fellows, Ph.D. scholars, visiting scholars and undergraduate students.
Shiv Nadar University (SNU) announced the discovery of a compound that can reverse environmental mercury (a heavy metal) poisoning by converting it from a highly toxic, volatile and soluble organic form (as a pollutant) into a comparatively safe, inert and stable form that renders it harmless and insoluble. What is equally noteworthy is that the process of converting organic mercury pollutants from a toxic, soluble state to an insoluble, non-toxic state takes a few minutes to hours depending upon the various forms of organic mercury pollutants.
Dell and Shiv Nadar University sign agreement to drive research and innovation
The university is located on a 286-acre residential campus in India's National Capital Region.
The University’s campus has 6 academic blocks, 154 laboratories and studios, 9 student hostels, 2 dining facilities, 15 sports courts and 2 gymnasiums and an Indoor Sports complex. Shiv Nadar University is the first private university and only the fifth research institution in the country with a ‘High Performance Computing Cluster’ with 30 TeraFlops of peak performance for research requiring advanced computational capabilities.
Apart from hostels, a residential complex is built for visitors. The faculty residential complex is under construction and is expected to be ready by 2016.
Clubs and forums offer various extra-curricular activities for students, faculty and staff.
SNU has collaborated with following international universities for Collaborative Research, Semester Exchange programs, Joint Degree Programs, Joint Research Grants, Curricula and Academic Support.
- Babson College: SNU has a strategic alliance with [Babson College] to bring excellent entrepreneurship education to India.
- Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania: SNU collaborated with Annenberg School to launch its school of communication.
- Duke University: For a broad framework of collaborative academic programs and experiential learning opportunities for faculty and students of both the universities.
- Queen's University, Belfast
- Network n+i
Applicants are evaluated on quantitative ability, abstract reasoning, and communication ability through a school-specific Scholastic Aptitude Test (SNUSAT). They also take an Academic Proficiency Test (APT) in intended major subject areas.
For admissions into the graduate programs, each department uses its own process to evaluate applicants.
- Recognized as ‘University of the Year’ (in existence for less than 10 years category) at 3rd FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards 2016. The FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards recognize the achievements and work done by institutions and individuals in improving the quality of Higher Education in India.
- Best Avant-Garde Institution by CII
- The University of the Year by the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- The Best Emerging Global University of the Year by Careers 360 Magazine
- Rahul Choudaha (17 August 2013). "Branch campus or partnerships – Or both?". University World News. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- S. Ronendra Singh (1 August 2013). "The rise of an heiress: Roshni Nadar". Business Line. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Shiv Nadar Foundation Inaugural Report 2012 (PDF) (Report). Shiv Nadar Foundation.
- "Shiv Nadar Foundation Brochure" (PDF). http://www.shivnadarfoundation.org. Shiv Nadar Foundation. Retrieved 29 August 2013. External link in
- "Shiv Nadar University appoints Rupamanjari Ghosh as vice-chancellor - The Economic Times". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- "List of Schools".
- "School of Engineering".
- "School of Extended Education and Professional Development".
- "School of Humanities and Social Sciences".
- "India Education Diary".
- "School of Natural Sciences".
- "Curriculum Approach".
- "At SNU, the focus is on research".
- "Shiv Nadar University researchers discover a compound to reverse toxic Mercury poisoning".
- "Dell and Shiv Nadar University sign agreement to drive research and innovation".
- "Shiv Nadar University goes for aptitude test to tap right candidates".
- "Shiv Nadar University invites applications for UG courses".
- "SNU Admissions".
- "Postgraduate Admissions".
- "3rd FICCI Higher Education Excellence Awards 2016".