Shiva Nazar Ahari
Shiva Nazar Ahari
Shiva Nazar Ahari (2009)
|Born||June 10, 1984|
Shiva Nazar Ahari (Persian: شیوا نظر آهاری) (born June 10, 1984) is a notable Iranian human rights activist and a founding member of the Committee of Human Rights Reporters. She has been jailed several times by the Iranian government.
She was jailed on 14 June 2009 and held in the Evin prison until September 23, 2009, when she was released on an equivalent of a $200,000 bail. She had been in solitary confinement for 33 days.
The most recent hearing was held on September 4, 2010, at the 26th branch of the Islamic Revolutionary Court of the Tehran Province, with charges including "attempts to deface the Islamic government", "assembly with intention of conspiring against the Islamic government", "disrupting the public order" and moharebeh or "waging war against God". Since her arrest, the court proceeding has met with strong international criticism, the allegation being that it was an illegal measure taken by the Islamic Republic of Iran to further repress the rights of dissent and freedom of speech in the country, and her immediate release has been called for.
After 266 days in prison, she was released on September 12, 2010 on a bail of five billion Iranian rials (roughly equivalent to over $500,000).
Per a summons, Shiva Nazar Ahari appeared at Evin on September 8, 2012, to serve a 4-year prison sentence. A number of organizations call for her immediate release - Reporters without borders, World association of newspapers and news publishers or PEN International.
On Sunday, March 13, 2011, it was announced that Shiva Nazar Ahari was the 2011 recipient of the Theodor Haecker Prize for "courageous internet reporting on human rights violations". The prize is named after Theodor Haecker, a philosopher, writer and anti-Nazi cultural critic.
- http://www.mowjcamp.org/article/id/36798[permanent dead link]
- Women's rights activist and lawyer violently arrested in Iran, says Amnesty International Archived 2009-07-21 at the Wayback Machine, July 17, 2009
- Number of Activists Arrested on the Way to Qom Archived 2009-12-24 at the Wayback Machine, Persian2English blog, December 21, 2009
- Iran: Human rights defender must be released: Further Information, 23 August 2010
- Petition for the release of blogger and activist Shiva Nazar Ahari
- TAKE ACTION | Global Campaign in Support of Shiva Nazar Ahari: “We Are All Shiva”
- CAMPAIGN IN SUPPORT OF SHIVA NAZAR AHARI Human right defender detained at Evin prison
- Courageous and Principled: Shiva Nazar Ahari by MUHAMMAD SAHIMI in Los Angeles, 28 August 2010
- "شیوا نظرآهاری آزاد شد". کمیتـه گزارشـگران حقـوق بشـر.
- Islamic Republic jails two more women journalists Reporters without borders, 10 Sep. 2012
- Shiva Nazar Ahari, Iran, jailed since September 2012, World association of newspapers and news publishers
- Shiva Nazar Ahari, Iran, Journalist, activist and blogger Archived 2014-11-24 at the Wayback Machine, PEN International
- "Iranian activist Shiva Nazar-Ahari awarded Theodor Haecker prize".