|Motto||Dnyanmevamrutam (ज्ञानमेवामृतम )|
Motto in English
|Knowledge is the elixir of life|
|Chancellor||C. Vidyasagar Rao|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) D. B. Shinde|
|Location||Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
Shivaji University (Marathi: शिवाजी विद्यापीठ), established in 1962, is in Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India. The university's campus is 853 acres (3.4519 km2), and is named after Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, founder of the Maratha Empire. It was inaugurated on 18 November 1962 by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the then president of India. Yashwantrao Chavan and Balasaheb Desai took the lead in establishing this university. Kolhapur, Sangli, and Satara come under its jurisdiction with 279 affiliated colleges and recognised institutes. One of the major objectives behind its foundation was to cater to the regional needs of South Maharashtra. The University's efforts towards excellence are being recognised by the substantial grants received from funding agencies like University Grants Commission (India), Department of Science and Technology (India), and DBT.
Shivaji University has recently signed MoU with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre for research in Material Science. It has also partnered with the Indian Institute of Geo-Magnetism, Mumbai and industries like Phyto-Pharma. Institutes including Maharashtra Police Academy and Nashik and Centre for Social Studies have sought affiliation with the Shivaji University.
Before its establishment, Kolhapur, Sangli, Satara, and Solapur districts were under the jurisdiction of Savitribai Phule Pune University. After the university's establishment in 1962, Kolhapur, Sangli, Satara, and Solapur districts came under Shivaji University's jurisdiction with 279 affiliated colleges and recognized institutes. After establishment of Solapur University on 1 August 2004, Solapur district came under Solapur University jurisdiction.
Shivaji University has been re-accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council, (NAAC) with "A" Grade (CGPA-3.16) (2014). Shivaji University is among top 50 Universities contributing towards research in India in 2015
Shivaji University is ranked 44th among all Universities in India.
In 1962 the University started functioning with 34 affiliated colleges and about 14,000 students with 5 Post-graduate Departments on the campus. Today the number of affiliated colleges has gone up to 280 and the student body has increased to 3,00,000 with 34 Postgraduate Departments on campus. The University imparts education in 10 major faculties of Arts, Social Science, Science, Commerce, Education, Fine Arts, Law, Medicine, Ayurvedic Medicine, Engineering and Technology.
Shiv-Sandesh monthly bulletin is published online by Shivaji University, which throw light on various activities, programs organised in the university.
Madhyamvidya and Media Spectrum are private distribution newspapers published by M.A. Mass communication department students.
- Department of Foreign Language
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Marathi
- Department of Commerce and Management
- Department of Commerce and Management- M.B.A Unit
- Department of Adult and Continuing Education
- Department of Education
- Department of Sports
Engineering and Technology
- Department of Technology
- School of Nanoscience and Technology
- Department of Music and Dramatics
- Department of Law
- Department of Agrochemicals and Pest Management
- Department of Applied Chemistry
- Department of Bio-Chemistry
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Botany
- Department of chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electronics
- Department of Environment Science
- Department of Food Science & Technology
- Department of Geography
- Department of Industrial Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Micro-Biology
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Economics
- Department of History
- Department of Journalism and Communication
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Yashwantrao Chavan School of Rural Development
Department of Technology
Shivaji University started Department of Technology in June 2006 with the aim that opportunity for students to learn in technology education and research of global standard for the human resource development. In 2006 first four M. Tech courses were started and in 2008 five B. Tech courses were started.
To be a seat of learning in technology education and research of global standard for the human resource development.
Shivaji University is committed to meet the educational, social, cultural, and economic needs of the region and the nation to create a just and humane society.
Barrister Balasaheb Khardekar Library
The Barr. B. Khardekar Library at Shivaji University is one of the leading university libraries in southern Maharashtra. It caters to the academic needs of students, faculty and other users from the university as well as visitors from other universities and institutes. The library has over 3.1 lakhs printed documents and it subscribes to over 298 national and international journals. The library is a member of UGC/INFONET Digital Library consortium of INFLIBNET, under which it has access to over 6000+ electronic journals and few electronic databases. It has established contacts with universities, national and international organizations libraries for inter-library loans.
The library was named after the late Barr. Balasaheb Khardekar on 24 October 1981.
- OPAC-The Online Public Access Catalogue [OPAC] is available within university intranet [LAN]. The building of complete database of library documents is under progress. Hence, presently only the catalogue data of around 2,00,000 old records (Including bound volumes of journals,Thesis & Desirtations, rare books etc.) and catalogue data of new books added w.e.f. Jan 1, 2008 is available. Now on new books data will be available only online, it will no longer be available in the form of Catalogue cards.
More information can be found at http://www.unishivaji.ac.in/library/page_details.aspx?page_name=library%20opac
MoUs of Shivaji University with other universities and institutes
- Gifu University, Japan
- Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea
- Chonnam National University, South Korea
- National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan
- University of Brasília, Brasilia- Brazil
- Monash University, Clayton, Australia
- Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka
- Khon Kaen University, Thailand
- Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
- National Institute for Space Research, Brazil
- Asian Research Network (ARN) instituted by Hanyang University, South Korea
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
- Joint MoU with Savitribai Phule Pune University, University of Mumbai and Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik
- Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), Mumbai
- National Institute of Oceanography, India
- Centre for Social Studies, Surat
- Microsoft Corporation (India) Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
- Intel Technology Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai
- Infosys BPO
Past and Current Vice Chancellor Of Shivaji University
- Dr. A.G. Pawar (1962-75)
- Barr. P.G. Patil (1975-78)
- B.S. Bhanage (1978-80)
- R.K. Kanbarkar (1980-83)
- K. Bhogishayana (1983-86)
- Prof. K.B. Powar (1986-92)
- Dr. A.T. Varute (1992-95)
- Prof. D. N. Dhanagare (1995-2000)
- Dr. M. G. Takwale (2000-04)
- Dr. M. M. Salunkhe (2004-09)
- Prof. Dr. N. J. Pawar (2010-15)
- Dr. D. B. Shinde (2015-Current)
- "Barr. Balasaheb Khardekar Library Shivaji University". Shivaji university.