|Location||Makinohara, Shizuoka, Shimada, Shizuoka|
|Elevation AMSL||433 ft / 132 m|
|Website||Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport|
Source: Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
Shizuoka Airport (静岡空港? Shizuoka Kūkō) (IATA: FSZ, ICAO: RJNS), also called Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport, is located in Shizuoka Prefecture Japan. Opened on June 4, 2009, the airport has domestic service to Sapporo, Fukuoka, Naha (Okinawa), Komatsu, Kumamoto, and Kagoshima. International routes connect it to Ningbo, Seoul, Taipei, and Shanghai.
The airport is located in Makinohara and Shimada. It is 27 km (17 mi) southwest of Shizuoka Station and about 45 km (28 mi) from Hamamatsu, 80 km (50 mi) from Mt. Fuji, 130 km (81 mi) from Nagoya airport, and 175 km (109 mi) from Tokyo in a direct line.
To allow for growth in air travel to Shizuoka, Hamamatsu, and the Mount Fuji area, and to fill the gap between Tokyo and Nagoya airports, Shizuoka Prefecture bought 190 hectares (470 acres) of land for Shizuoka Airport. One reason for building this airport in this particular location is that locals and tourists will not have to rely on the severely congested airports of the Tokyo region. Any flights that bypass the Tokyo region will help overall air traffic, including direct international flights. Like Kobe Airport, Shizuoka Airport has come under criticism as Nagoya Airport is not congested and is also in an expansion phase.
The airport was originally scheduled to open in March 2009, but was delayed by the shortening of the runway from 2,500 m (8,202 ft) to 2,200 m (7,218 ft), by the use of a displaced threshold that cannot be used for takeoff or landing, due to environmental and noise concerns.
Airlines and destinations
The closest railway station is Kanaya Station on the Tōkaidō Main Line and the Ōigawa Main Line. It is about 6 km from the airport. Taxi service to Shizuoka Station, a major station in the area, is available for 8,500 yen.
Buses run by three operators connect the airport to various railroad stations. The time required for the trip is about 55 minutes to Shizuoka Station, 25 minutes to Shimada Station, 42 minutes to Kakegawa Station stopping en route at Kikugawa Station, two hours to Hamamatsu Station, and 215 minutes to Kawaguchi Station with continuing service to Fujikyū Bus Terminal near Fuji-Q Highland.
Free parking for 2,000 cars is available at the airport.
- "Shizuoka Airport" (PDF). Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- Shizuoka airport to open in June
- Domestic Flights :: Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport (Retrieved on June 9, 2009)
- International Flights:Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport (Retrieved on June 9, 2009)
- AIS Japan
- "에어서울, 10월부터 아시아나 日 노선 순차 인수". NEWSIS.COM (in Korean). 15 July 2016. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Beijing Capital Airlines Adds Jinan – Japan Routes in S16". airlineroute. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Capital Airlines Adds Shenyang – Japan Routes from mid-May 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "China Southern Adds New Zhengzhou - Japan Routes from late-June 2015". Airlineroute.net. 14 May 2015. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Tianjin Airlines Adds Dalian – Japan Routes from July 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Tianjin Airlines Launches 3 New Routes to Japan from May 2015". Airlineroute.net. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Car and Motorcycle Guide:Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport (Retrieved on June 9, 2009)