||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Shlomo Gazit (Hebrew: שלמה גזית; born 1926) is a retired Israeli military officer and academic. A former Major General in the Israel Defense Forces, he headed Israel's military intelligence service. He later served as President of Ben-Gurion University and head of the Jewish Agency.
In 1942, while still in high school, he joined the Haganah, and the Palmach in 1944. He was assigned to Company H. He was initially based in Kiryat Anavim. He passed a commander's course and was appointed a platoon leader, serving in the Ramat HaKovesh and Givat HaShlosha areas. He participated in the Night of the Bridges and the Night of the Trains.
He served as the head of the assessment department in IDF intelligence before the Six-Day War, but then took leave to study for a master's degree in history. Gazit's studies were interrupted in the summer of 1967, when he was appointed by Defense Minister Moshe Dayan to be in charge of a committee tasked with running the political, security, and later economic affairs in the newly captured territories. This group would later be renamed "The Unit for the Coordination of Operations in the Territories".
After seven years, Gazit was promoted to head of the Military Intelligence Directorate, a position he held from 1974 to 1978.
Upon his retirement from the IDF, he served as President of the Ben Gurion University in Beersheba for two four-year terms. Since 1988 he is a member of the staff of Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies at the Tel Aviv University.
- The Middle East Military Balance, 1988-1989: A Comprehensive Data Base & In-Depth Analysis of Regional Strategic Issues, Westview Press, 1990. ISBN 0-8133-0961-1
- The Middle East Military Balance, 1990-91, Westview Press, 1992. ISBN 0-8133-1413-5
- The Middle East Military Balance 1992-1993, Westview Press, 1994. ISBN 0-8133-2218-9
- The Middle East Military Balance 1993-1994, Westview Press, 1995. ISBN 0-8133-2658-3
- The Palestinian refugee problem, Tel Aviv University, 1995. ISBN 965-459-016-6
- The Carrot and the Stick: Israel's Policy in Judaea and Samaria, 1967-68 , B'nai B'rith Book Service, 1995. ISBN 0-910250-29-4
- Trapped Fools; Thirty Years of Israeli Policy in the Territories, Frank Cass, 2003. ISBN 0-7146-8390-6
- The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East, Vintage, 2005. ISBN 1-4000-7963-2
- Gazit, Shlomo. Trapped Fools; Thirty Years of Israeli Policy in the Territories. Frank Cass, 2003. ISBN 0-7146-8390-6