Shlomo Eliyahu Miller is a Rosh Kollel (dean) and co-founder of the Kollel Avreichim Institute for Advanced Talmud Study, a haredi post-yeshiva educational institution in Toronto and head of its Beis Din (Rabbinical court). He is the foremost Litvish Haredi Posek (decisor of Rabbinic law) in Toronto.
Miller is the head of the Beis Din of the Va'ad Harabonim of Lakewood (Association of Rabbis) of Lakewood, NJ and heads a Kollel there as well. He is a close friend of Avraham Bromberg. Miller is a strong opponent of any weakening of the rule of Halacha (Rabbinic law).
Miller learned in the Talmudical Academy of Baltimore and was a close talmid (student) of Rav Aaron Kotler. He began deciding Halachic disputes after Rav Moshe Feinstein began referring halakhic disputes to him, although he never received formal semikhah. Rav Yosef Shalom Elyashiv is said to have called Miller the posek of North America. He founded Kollel Toronto along with Rav Yaakov Hirschman in 1970.
She'eilos U'Teshuvos Ma'ayanei Shlomo, a compilation of his Teshuvos (Halakhic responsa), was published by his son in law, Avrohom Goldner. Rav Mordche Kanner has written multiple works based on the rulings of Miller, including Shoshanas Yisroel on Hilchos Purim.
Some major rulings and statements
Shabbos mode ovens
Miller wrote a letter voicing his support of the controversial ban of Natan Slifkin's books by a number of prominent rabbis. His defense of the rabbis and the ban was itself controversial, as evidenced by the responses it generated.[original research?] Miller and Slifkin met in Toronto in December 2007. Slifkin reported that, despite their "strong disagreements", they had "a very pleasant conversation" in "a nice, polite atmosphere." Slifkin noted, however, that nothing was resolved.
Miller investigated the claim that the sea snail Murex trunculus was the source of the biblical techeiles. In a letter on the subject, he wrote that he believes that there are several Talmudic proofs that the Murex is not the creature from which techeiles is produced, and that the evidence in support of the claim is insufficient to overcome these points. Prominent techeiles researcher Yisroel Barkin authored a comprehensive disputation of Rabbi Millers' letter.
- Rav Shlomo Miller to spend Shabbos in Lakewood Archived 2011-07-08 at the Wayback Machine
- "UPDATE: Preventing Transgression: Gedolei HaPoskim Asur Pressing Buttons on 'Shabbos Mode Ovens' on Yom Tov". Yeshiva World News. 2008-06-05. Retrieved 2018-02-28.
- A letter of admonishment regarding N. Slifkin's opinions Archived 2008-09-05 at the Wayback Machine
- See Archived 2009-01-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Miller, Shlomo. "מכתב הרב שלמה מילר" [Letter of Rabbi Shlomo Miller] (PDF). www.techeiles.org.
- Barkin, Yisroel. "תגובה להרב שלמה מילר מהרב ישראל בארקין" [Response to Rabbi Miller]. www.techeiles.org.