Shock of Daylight
|Shock of Daylight|
|Studio||Townhouse Studios, Crow Studio and Elephant Studio, London, England|
|The Sound chronology|
|Singles from Shock of Daylight|
The EP was seen by critics as a comeback for the band, after the band's critically and commercially disappointing previous album, 1982's All Fall Down. Two singles were released from the EP, "Counting the Days" and "Golden Soldiers" (the latter in Spain only).
Background and content
Shock of Daylight was released in April 1984 by record label Statik in the UK and A & M Records in the US.
"Counting the Days" was released as a single in the UK. "Golden Soldiers" was released as a single in the same year in Spain only.
|The Big Takeover||favourable|
Shock of Daylight has been well received by critics. The Big Takeover described it as "a triumphant comeback for [the Sound], a nice return from the interesting but obviously non-commercial All Fall Down, an LP whose lack of salibility effectively got 'em booted from Korova/Warners, and this first release on Static [sic] is a reminder of why they're such a great band". Melody Maker described the EP as "probably the most fearlessly outgoing music the Sound have produced since Jeopardy".
All lyrics are written by Adrian Borland.
|1.||"Golden Soldiers"||Borland, Colvin Mayers||3:15|
|2.||"Longest Days"||Borland, Mayers, Graham Bailey, Michael Dudley||5:07|
|3.||"Counting the Days"||Borland, Mayers, Bailey, Dudley||3:36|
|2.||"A New Way of Life"||Borland, Mayers, Bailey, Dudley||4:38|
|3.||"Dreams Then Plans"||Borland||4:03|
- The Sound
- Adrian Borland – vocals, guitar, keyboards
- Colvin "Max" Mayers – keyboards, guitar
- Graham Bailey – bass guitar
- Michael Dudley – drums, percussion
- Additional personnel
- Sarah Smith – brass, brass arrangement
- Tim Smith – brass, brass arrangement
- Alan Douglas – engineering
- Pat Collier – production
- Mike Bigwood – tape operator
- Nick Robbins – drums and bass guitar on "Winter"
- Graham Simmonds – guitar and vocals on "Winter"
- Shock of Daylight (Media notes). The Sound. Statik Records. 1984. Retrieved 24 June 2013.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Roberts, Chris (1984). "Shock Treatment". Sounds. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Kellman, Andy. "Shock of Daylight – The Sound | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. AllRovi. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- Rabid, Jack (17 August 1984). "[Shock of Daylight review]". The Big Takeover. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- A, Keith (21 March 2006). "Julian Cope Presents Head Heritage | Unsung | Reviews | The Sound – Shock of Daylight". Head Heritage. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Jones, Allan (7 April 1984). "Dawn Patrol". Melody Maker. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- Lamey, Charles P.; Rabid, Jack; Ferguson, Scott. "TrouserPress.com :: Sound". TrouserPress.com. Retrieved June 27, 2016.