|• Also spelled||Shoka (official)|
|• Type||Municipality (from 2005)|
|• Head of Municipality||Mousa Abu Jlaidan|
Shokat as-Sufi is a Palestinian town in the southern Gaza Strip, south of Rafah and adjacent to the inoperable Yasser Arafat International Airport. It is one of the poorest localities in the Gaza Strip, and has underdeveloped infrastructure.
According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) census in 1997, Shokat as-Sufi had a population of 5,663 of which 90% were Palestinian refugees. The gender make-up of the town was 49.3% male and 50.7% female. According to the PCBS, in mid-year 2006, it had a population of 8,094.
- Village Services Program USAID. June 2004.
- Palestinian Population by Locality and Refugee Status Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS).
- Palestinian Population by Locality, Sex and Age Groups in Years Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS).
- Projected Mid -Year Population for Rafah Governorate by Locality 2004- 2006 Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS).
- Local elections (round one) - the winners according to local authority, gender and No. of votes obtained Higher commission for Local Elections, pp.56-57.