||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Born||Shona Bernadette McGarty
14 October 1991
Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England
|Years active||2008 – present|
Before joining EastEnders, she had been involved in amateur musical theatre for six years with a group named Traffic Lights, and later joined the drama school Young Stars where she played the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland and Glinda the Good Witch in Wizard of Oz, In July 2012, McGarty was suspended from EastEnders by the acting executive producer Lorraine Newman "for repeatedly being late for filming". McGarty performed the song "A Change is Gonna Come" on Children in Need 2012.
In 2009, McGarty was nominated for Best Newcomer at the British Soap Awards. A storyline involving McGarty as the main part was nominated for Best Single Episode as well as Best Storyline. These nominations were unsuccessful.
McGarty attended St. Teresa's Primary RC School in Borehamwood and Loreto College, St Albans. She was in a relationship with former the EastEnders actor Matt Lapinskas. The couple split up in February 2013. Reports were later made and confirmed that Lapinskas was having an affair with Brianne Delcourt, his partner on the hit UK show Dancing on Ice. The Ex-Eastenders actor showed his feelings for his new love interest on Twitter.
|2008 – present||EastEnders||Whitney Dean|
- "Shona McGarty". IMDb. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "Mohill family connections to Eastenders star Shona McGarty". Leitrim Observer. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- "BBC News - EastEnders star Shona McGarty suspended for lateness". BBC Online. 16 July 2012. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Littlejohn, Georgina (27 April 2011). "EastEnders Whitney gets lucky in love as actress Shona McGarty cosies up to former on-screen boyfriend". Daily Mail (London).
- Eriksen, Alanah (3 October 2011). "On to the next hunk from Albert Square". Mail Online (London: Metro Media Group). Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Buckland, Lucy (3 March 2013). "Shona McGarty plays down reports that she split from Matt Lapinskas after he 'grew too close to skating partner'". Mail Online. Retrieved 3 March 2013.