Shooting of Charley Leundeu Keunang
Screenshot of the police pinning down Keunang seconds before the shooting
|Date||March 1, 2015|
|Location||South San Pedro Street, Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Filmed by||Bystander's cell phone camera|
|Participants||Francisco Martinez, Daniel Torres, and Chand Syed (LAPD officers)|
|Deaths||Charley Leundeu Keunang|
On December 1, 2016, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced that no criminal charges would be filed against the officers who shot Keunang, and that they considered it an act of self-defense.
Charley Leundeu Keunang went by the names of "Africa," "Cameroon," or "Charley Saturmin Robinet" (a stolen ID). He was ordered by police to come out of his tent in Skid Row after fighting with someone inside the tent. Someone called 911 and reported that a robbery had occurred in the area. The officers stated that Keunang became aggressive and ignored commands. After he refused the police order, they dragged him out of the tent. A physical altercation ensued with several police officers, during which three officers shot Keunang, resulting in his death. At least two videos captured the incident.
The shooting was reviewed by the district attorney's office, the Police Commission and its independent inspector general.
In February 2016, the Los Angeles Police Commission ruled that the shooting did not violate their policy on the use of deadly force, as Keunang had reached for an officer's weapon. The incident resulted in improvements in the training of officers as to how to better handle incidents involving people with mental health issues.
On December 1, 2016, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced that they would not file criminal charges against the officers who shot Keunang (Francisco Martinez, Daniel Torres, and Chand Syed). Prosecutors stated that the officers acted in self-defense.
- Press, Associated (30 April 2015). "Family of homeless man shot dead by LAPD on Skid Row files $20m claim" – via The Guardian.
- "Man killed in Skid Row officer-involved shooting identified". ABC News.
- Mather, Kate; Queally, James; Holland, Gale (February 2, 2016). "L.A. Police Commission clears officers in skid row shooting but faults officer in Burbank killing". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- "Coroner Identifies Homeless Man On Skid Row Killed By LAPD : The Two-Way : NPR". Npr.org. Retrieved March 8, 2015.
- "The homeless man killed by Los Angeles police and why we still don't know his real name". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- "LAPD Shooting: Homeless Victim Stole French Man's Identity, Authorities Say - ABC News". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved March 5, 2015.
- Dolan, Jack; Hamilton, Matt; Emamdjomeh, Armand (2 March 2015). "Skid row shooting of homeless man by LAPD provokes search for more video". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Times, Los Angeles. "LAPD arrests 14 protesters after #BlackLivesMatter demonstration".
- Times, Los Angeles. "Skid row shooting: Autopsy shows man shot six times, had meth in system".
- Melley, Brian (December 1, 2016). "Death". Associated Press. Retrieved December 8, 2016.[dead link]