Shooting of Patrick Harmon
|Date||August 13, 2017|
|Location||1002 S. State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Filmed by||Police body cameras|
|Participants||Clinton Fox (gunman), Kris Smith (Taser operator)|
Patrick Harmon was a 50-year-old African-American man fatally shot from behind by police officer Clinton Fox in Salt Lake City, Utah, on August 13, 2017. The shooting took place after Harmon was pulled over by an officer for riding a bicycle without proper lighting. The incident led to protests in Salt Lake City, some organized by Black Lives Matter.
Harmon had been pulled over by police officer Kris Smith for bicycling without a red rear light. Officers tried to arrest Harmon after discovering an outstanding warrant. Harmon attempted to flee the scene and was chased by the police, at which point officers said he turned towards them with a knife and was shot. The shooting of Harmon by Fox was recorded by police body cameras. Police also stated that Harmon verbally threatened them prior to the shooting saying "I’ll cut you".
Harmon was tasered by Smith while or when on the ground after being shot by Fox.
The police and district attorney's office initially declined to release the body camera footage, prompting public protest in Salt Lake City.
In early October 2017, some of the body camera footage was released, and the district attorney in Salt Lake City announced the decision not to file charges against the officers. The district attorney claimed that Harmon posed a threat to the officers. Critics have argued that the video footage from the scene does not show such a threat because he was running away when he was shot. A local Black Lives Matter representative said that the community wanted the district attorney to resign, or else they would respond with protesting marches.
Salt Lake City police Sgt. Brandon Shearer claimed that the officers had used police de-escalation tactics. Fox was criticized by a Black Lives Matter representative, for failing to de-escalate the situation.
In October 2017, following further public protests, the district attorney asked the FBI to review his decision not to prosecute the police involved.
- Biking while black
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Shooting of Abdullahi Omar Mohamed
- ^ a b c Larry D. Curtis (October 4, 2017). "Body-cam footage released by police in fatal shooting ruled justified". Kutv.com. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- ^ a b Lockhart, Ben (September 30, 2017). "Protesters demand to see footage of fatal shooting in Salt Lake". Deseretnews.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b Morgan Saxton (August 14, 2017). "Update: Man killed in police shooting identified". Kutv.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b c Lubben, Alex (October 6, 2017). "Another cop got away with shooting an unarmed black man in the back". Vice.com. Vice Media. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b Caldwell, Tiffany (September 28, 2017). "Salt Lake City police kill man after he grabs officer's baton and beats him with it, witness says". Sltrib.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b Knox, Annie (August 14, 2017). "Police shoot, kill man in State Street confrontation". Deseretnews.com. Retrieved October 7, 2017.
- ^ Waldron, Travis (August 24, 2017). "Police Killed At Least 223 Black Americans In The Year After Colin Kaepernick's First Protest". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ Schladebeck, Jessica (October 6, 2017). "Bodycam video shows Utah officer fatally shoot fleeing man". New York Daily News. Archived from the original on October 7, 2017. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b c d e f g Levin, Sam (October 5, 2017). "Video shows Utah police fatally shooting man from behind as he fled". Theguardian.com. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- ^ a b c Lahitou, Jessicah (October 6, 2017). "Who Was Patrick Harmon? Utah Police Shot Him Fatally In The Back". Bustle.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ Edwards, Breanna (October 6, 2017). "Video Shows Utah Police Fatally Shooting Black Man Who Was Attempting to Flee; D.A. Says Shooting Was Justified". Theroot.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b Sinclair, Harriet (October 5, 2017). "Footage shows moment police in Salt Lake City shot black man in the back as he fled". Newsweek.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ a b Caldwell, Tiffany (September 30, 2017). "Family members, activists call for answers, release of police bodycam footage in fatal shooting of Salt Lake City bicyclist". Sltrib.com. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ Taylor, Rebecca (October 5, 2017). "Cop shoots fleeing black man in the back - but he 'did nothing wrong'". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ Embury-Dennis, Tom (October 6, 2017). "Video captures US police fatally shooting black man 'as he was trying to get away'". Independent.co.uk. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ Whitehurst, Lindsay (October 6, 2017). "Outcry over Utah fatal police shooting captured on camera". Washingtonpost.com. Archived from the original on October 7, 2017. Retrieved October 6, 2017.
- ^ Caldwell, Tiffany (October 10, 2017). "District Attorney asks FBI to review police shooting of Patrick Harmon". Sltrib.com. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- ^ Whitehurst, Lindsay (October 11, 2017). "FBI asked to probe killing of black man by Utah police". Associated Press. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- 2010s in Salt Lake City
- 2017 controversies in the United States
- 2017 in Utah
- August 2017 events in the United States
- Black Lives Matter
- Deaths by person in Utah
- Filmed killings by law enforcement
- Law enforcement in Utah
- African Americans shot dead by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Salt Lake City Police Department
- Cycling safety