Shorecrest Preparatory School
|Shorecrest Preparatory School|
|5101 First Street Northeast
St. Petersburg, Florida
|Campus size||28 Acres|
|Mascot||Sparky the Lightning Bolt|
|Average SAT scores||Writing: 605 Total: 1828|
Shorecrest Preparatory School is a private, non-profit, non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory day school for students age 3 through Grade 12, located in St. Petersburg, Florida. Founded in 1923, it is the oldest independent day school in the state of Florida. A PK-12 institution, it serves St. Petersburg as well as the greater Tampa Bay area. The campus is on 28 acres located in the heart of St. Petersburg, a small, vibrant city located on Tampa Bay. Shorecrest hosts the Chargers, the school's teams, for all sports. 100% of Shorecrest seniors are accepted to college.
The school is also part of the Hybrid Learning Consortium. It creates a globalized learning community offering a diverse variety of online courses to students around the world. Shorecrest was also recognized by Apple as an Apple Distinguished School for 2016-2018, for thoughtful integration of technology throughout the curriculum. Grades 5-12 have a 1:1 iPad program.
All grade levels at Shorecrest support local, national and international service organizations. The school’s commitment to community service is facilitated through a full-time Director of Service Learning, who connects students with on- and off-campus service opportunities and outside organizations, and works with faculty and parent volunteers to plan and implement a year-round Service Learning program.
Shorecrest hosts a numerous amount of athletic teams for students to play in throughout the academic year. Shorecrest's High School sports generally consist of a Varsity and Junior Varsity team. As for the middle school, there is normally only one team for grades 6-8, however for more competitive sports, there may be a "Gold" and "Green" team. The sports with Gold and Green teams have less experienced athletes on the more developmental Gold team, and have more experienced athletes on the competitive Green team. The sports are divided into 3 seasons; Fall Sports, Winter Sports, and Spring Sports.
The visual arts and performing arts are vibrant entities at Shorecrest in all grade levels. The Upper School has over thirty course offerings with numerous Honors and AP classes, and a high level of student participation. Shorecrest's Thespian Troupe 3140 has garnered many top honors at both the District and State levels, including presenting one-acts and mainstage productions at the Florida State Thespian Festival in 2014 and 2015.
Accreditation and Memberships
Shorecrest Preparatory School is accredited or a member of the following organizations:
- Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS)
- Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS)
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Patrick Wilson '91; American stage, musical theatre, film and television actor
- Betsy Thomas Rook '76; author
- Monica Raymund '04 won the 2013 Imagen Award for Best Actress in Television. Starred in "Lie To Me" and "Chicago Fire".
- The 2015-16 Shorecrest Alumni Distinguished Achievement Award went to Dr. Michael Ison '89, a physician working in transplants and infectious diseases at Northwestern University in Chicago.
- "Home2". www.hybridlearningconsortium.org. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- "Shorecrest is an independent, coed, college preparatory school in Florida". www.shorecrest.org. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
- "Alumni Distinguished Achievement Award". www.shorecrest.org. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Catching Up With Betsy Thomas Rook". Shorecrest Preparatory School. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2016-06-14.
|This Florida school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|