Shoreham, New York
|Shoreham, New York|
|Incorporated Village of Shoreham|
U.S. Census map
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||66 ft (20 m)|
|• Density||1,100/sq mi (440/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0965160|
Shoreham is located at (40.956866, -72.908727).
Shoreham lies on the North Shore of Long Island. It is approximately 100 km (70 miles) from New York City. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), all of it land. East Shoreham and Shoreham share a post office, which has 11786 as the zip code. Most people refer to East Shoreham as Shoreham.
As of the census of 2000, there were 417 people, 145 households, and 126 families residing in the village. The population density was 938.3 people per square mile (365.9/km²). There were 163 housing units at an average density of 366.8 per square mile (143.0/km²). In 2010, the racial makeup of the village was 72.4% White, 12.6% Black or African American, 4.8% Asian, 0.9% Amerindian, and 0.2% Pacific Islander. 6.2% were of some other race, and 2.9% were of two or more races; Hispanics of any race comprised 16.3% of the population.
There were 145 households out of which 38.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.5% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.1% were non-families. 11.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the village the population was spread out with 27.6% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 17.7% from 25 to 44, 36.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 99.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $109,719, and the median income for a family was $116,985. Males had a median income of $81,873 versus $31,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $37,620. None of the families and 1.4% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
At Shoreham, Nikola Tesla built the Wardenclyffe Tower, which was dismantled in 1917. Nowadays there is the static inverter plant of the HVDC Cross Sound Cable. A non profit organization is in the process of turning Nikola Tesla's laboratory and the property where the Wardenclyffe Tower was once located into a museum honoring the life and work of Nikola Tesla.
It was at Shoreham where an approved Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant was later disapproved as the result of public protest. The builder, Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO), was partially reimbursed for money spent on construction. The municipal bonds that were floated to reimburse the builder are being paid off by a special levy on the electric bills of residents of Long Island. This was the last attempt to construct a nuclear power plant in the US.
Shoreham was served by the Shoreham LIRR station from 1900–1910. It was located near the intersection of North Country Road and Randall Road.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Shoreham village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 more information 2010 Demographic Profile Data: Shoreham village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- "Mission". Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe. Retrieved 27 December 2013.