Shoreham-Wading River High School
|Shoreham-Wading River High School|
|250B Route 25A
Shoreham, New York 11786
|Type||Public school (US)|
|School district||Shoreham-Wading River Central School District|
|Faculty||64.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.1|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Gold|
|Website||Shoreham-Wading River High School official page|
Shoreham-Wading River High School is a Public secondary school located in Shoreham, New York. The school serves about 900 students in grades 9 to 12 in the Shoreham-Wading River Central School District.
The school colors are navy blue and gold, and the mascot is the wildcat. The North Shore Public Library is connected to the school building.
The Wildcat Pause, the school's official newspaper, has won many awards over the years.
- D. B. Sweeney, actor
- Keith Osik, Major League Baseball player
- William T Throwe, International Physics Olympiad Gold medalist
- Jesse Jantzen, NCAA Wrestling Champion
- Eric Anthony López, Broadway Actor & American Idol Semi Finalist 
- Adam Conover, stand-up comedian
The Shoreham-Wading River Boys' Cross Country team won the NYS Class B Championships in 2007.
Shoreham Wading River lacrosse has established itself as a powerhouse since the program was founded in 1996. In 2006-2007, the boys' and girls' lacrosse teams won the NYS Class C Championship. They became only the second school to win both the boys' and girls' New York state championships in the same year; the other school was Garden City in 2001. The girls' and boys' teams would do this for a second time in the 2011-2012 season. The boys also won the State Championship in 2002, while the girls would repeat in 2008, 2009 and 2010. In 2013 longtime headcoach Tom Rotanz was not rehired.
In 2014 the Wildcats captured the first Rutgers Cup in school history (given to the best team on Long Island regardless of school size) alongside their very first Long Island championship and had a perfect record of 12-0. In 2014, a student died of a head injury sustained during a routine play in a football game at John Glenn High School in Elwood.
- "Football death a 'freak accident'". ESPN.com. October 2, 2014. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- "Shoreham-wading River High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-02-28.
Students: 839 (2005-06)
- "Wildcat Pause Wins 18 Awards" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-04-20.
- Alvin Klein (January 13, 1981). "First Shoreham 'Idyll,' Then Stardom". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-02-28.
- "Yastrzemski Award". Newsday. Retrieved 2008-02-28.
- Robert Leuner (September 1, 2005). "SWR graduate joins Washington Nationals". The Village Beacon Record. Retrieved 2008-02-28.
- "U.S. Physics Team Wins Golds/Silver". AAPT. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Dave Kindred (April 26, 2004). "Pin your hopes on this student-athlete". Sporting News. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- American Idol Spoilers. "American Idol 2015 Hollywood Week Contestant Spoilers".
- Carver, Marina (October 3, 2014). "Third high school football player dies in a week". CNN.com. Retrieved October 3, 2014.
- History. Shoreham-Wading River Central School District. Retrieved on 19 April 2008.
|This New York (state) school–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|