Shoreham-by-Sea railway station
|Location||Shoreham-by-Sea, Adur, West Sussex|
|Classification||DfT category D|
|12 May 1840||Opened (Shoreham)|
|1 July 1906||Renamed (Shoreham Harbour)|
|1 October 1906||Renamed (Shoreham-by-Sea)|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail & Road
Shoreham-by-Sea railway station serves the town of Shoreham-by-Sea in the county of West Sussex, and also serves the nearby Shoreham Airport. The station and the majority of trains serving it are operated by Govia Thameslink Railway, primarily under its Southern brand, but also as Thameslink.
It is 5 miles 69 chains (9.4 km) down the line from Brighton. Both platforms can handle trains with up to 12 coaches.
The original Shoreham station was a terminus built by the London & Brighton Railway and was opened on 11 May 1840. The original building was demolished in 1845 when the Brighton and Chichester Railway opened its line to Worthing railway station. Both railways merged with others in July 1846 to become the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway.
The station has a staffed ticket office which is open for the majority of the day on all days as well as self-service ticket machines available. The station also has a passenger waiting room, café and toilets which are open when the station is staffed.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 2 tph to London Victoria via Gatwick Airport
- 4 tph to Brighton (2 semi-fast, 2 stopping)
- 2 tph to West Worthing (all stations)
- 2 tph to Littlehampton
- 1 tph to Portsmouth Harbour
- 1 tph to Southampton Central
These services are operated by Southern.
On Sundays, the services to West Worthing do not run and the service to London Victoria and Littlehampton is reduced to 1 tph.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Bedford to Littlehampton
Peak Hours Only
- "Shoreham-by-Sea station information". Southern. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "Parking at Shoreham-by-Sea station". APCOA Parking. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- Table 186, 188 National Rail timetable, May 2020
- Great Western Railway to terminate Brighton services Rail issue 952 9 March 2022 page 22
- Great Western Railway set to axe Brighton service The Argus 21 April 2022
- Great Western Railway services calling at Shoreham=by-Sea on 13 May 2022 Realtime Trains
Media related to Shoreham-by-Sea railway station at Wikimedia Commons