Shoreham (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||East Worthing and Shoreham, Worthing West, Arundel and South Downs|
|Created from||Arundel and Shoreham|
Shoreham was a parliamentary constituency centred on the town of Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex. It returned one Member of Parliament to the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom from 1974 to 1997.
This was a safe Conservative seat throughout its existence.
1974-1983: The Urban Districts of Shoreham and Southwick, the Rural District of Chanctonbury, and in the Rural District of Worthing the parishes of Coombes, Findon, Houghton, Lancing, and Sompting.
1983-1997: The District of Adur, and the District of Arun wards of Angmering, East Preston and Kingston, Ferring, Findon, Rustington East, and Rustington West.
The constituency was created for the February 1974 general election, when the Arundel and Shoreham constituency was divided. It was abolished for the 1997 general election, when it was largely replaced by the new East Worthing and Shoreham constituency.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||Richard Luce||Conservative|
|1997||constituency abolished: see East Worthing and Shoreham, |
Worthing West, Arundel and South Downs
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||M King||18,384||31.8||+1.8|
|Natural Law||JI Dreben||200||0.3||+0.3|
Elections in the 1980s
Elections in the 1970s
|National Front||J Benjafield||406||0.7|
Notes and references
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Reference Publications 1972)
- The Parliaments of England by Henry Stooks Smith (1st edition published in three volumes 1844-50), second edition edited (in one volume) by F.W.S. Craig (Political Reference Publications 1973) out of copyright
- Victoria History of the County of Sussex - south part of the Rape of Bramber