The old post office and the top of Crown Lane
|Population||2,487 (2011 Census including Thong)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
Shorne is a village and civil parish in the borough of Gravesham in Kent, England. The parish lies 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Gravesend. Most of the land is well-drained but its marshes, the Shorne Marshes reach down to the Thames Estuary and are an SSSI amid the North Kent Marshes on the Hoo Peninsula proper.
According to the census results for 2001 there were 2,485 people in 1,028 households in the Parish of Shorne. Of those residents between the ages of 16 to 74, 60% had a higher qualification (at level 2 to 5) and 86% of the dwellings were owner occupied. The population of Shorne Parish at the 2011 census was 2487 residents in 1033 households.
In April 2017, it was announced that the government choice for the Lower Thames Crossing was for a tunnel under the Thames between East Tilbury and Shorne.
Places of interest
Little St Katherine's
Placed further up Forge Lane almost opposite Little St, Katherines. A local magistrate, Richard Parker lived on the site in 1642. Jarvis Maplesden the grandson of a local tanner purchased the house early in the 18th century along with twenty acres of land, which included St. Katharine's Chapel. Several generations of the Maplesden family lived in the house and there are gravestones bearing the Maplesden name still in the churchyard. The Maplesden family is responsible for its present build and design in the Georgian style. In about 1870 George Arnold, Mayor of Gravesend, bought and restored the ruined chapel.
St Peter and St Paul Church
Other old buildings with character include
The war memorial
Other views of Shorne
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- The Office for National Statistics
- BBC News online, 12.4.17
- Shorne Conservation Area Statement 1999 – Gravesham Borough Council
- Shorne: The History of a Kentish Village by A F Allen
- Map, The Megalithic Portal and Megalith. "World-wide Ancient Site Database, Photos and Prehistoric Archaeology News with geolocation : The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map:". www.megalithic.co.uk.
- "Randall Manor - Discover Gravesham". www.discovergravesham.co.uk.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shorne.|