The old post office and the top of Crown Lane
|Population||2,487 (2011 Census including Thong)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
Shorne is a village and civil parish in the borough of Gravesham in Kent, England. The parish lies 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Gravesend. Most of the land is well-drained but its marshes, the Shorne Marshes reach down to the Thames Estuary and are an SSSI amid the North Kent Marshes on the Hoo Peninsula proper.
According to the census results for 2001 there were 2,485 people in 1,028 households in the Parish of Shorne. Of those residents between the ages of 16 to 74, 60% had a higher qualification (at level 2 to 5) and 86% of the dwellings were owner occupied. The population of Shorne Parish at the 2011 census was 2487 residents in 1033 households.
Places of interest
Pipes Place is in Forge Lane almost opposite Little St, Katherines. A local magistrate, Richard Parker lived on the site in 1642. Jarvis Maplesden the grandson of a local tanner purchased the house early in the 18th century along with twenty acres of land, which included St. Katharine's Chapel. Several generations of the Maplesden family lived in the house and there are gravestones bearing the Maplesden name still in the churchyard. The Maplesden family is responsible for its present build and design in the Georgian style. In about 1870, George Arnold, Mayor of Gravesend, bought and restored the ruined chapel.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- Map, The Megalithic Portal and Megalith. "World-wide Ancient Site Database, Photos and Prehistoric Archaeology News with geolocation : The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map". www.megalithic.co.uk.
- "Randall Manor - Discover Gravesham". www.discovergravesham.co.uk.
- Randall Manor, The Old House in the Woods (PDF). 2008.
- The Office for National Statistics
- BBC News online, 12.4.17
- Shorne Conservation Area Statement 1999 – Gravesham Borough Council
- Shorne: The History of a Kentish Village by A F Allen
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shorne.|