Shoshana (Shoshanna(h)) (שושנה) is a Hebrew feminine first name. It is the name of at least two women in the Bible, and via Σουσάννα (Sousanna), it developed into such European names as Susanna, Susan, Susanne, Susana, Susannah, Suzanne, Suzie and Sanna. The original Hebrew form Shoshana, from which all these are derived, is still commonly used in contemporary Israel, often shortened to "Shosh" or "Shoshi". In Biblical times "shoshana" referred to a lily (from Lilium family); in modern Hebrew it is often understood as referring to a lily.
It may refer to:
- Shoshana Arbeli-Almozlino (born 1926), former Israeli politician who served as Minister of Health between 1986 and 1988
- Shoshana Bean (born 1977), American stage actress and singer known for her roles in Broadway musicals during the 2000s
- Shoshana Bush (born 1988), American actress
- Shoshana Damari (1923–2006), Yemenite-Israeli singer known as the queen of Hebrew music
- Shoshana Felman, Woodruff Professor of Comparative Literature and French at Emory University
- Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss (born 1975), American fashion designer
- Shoshana Johnson (born 1973), Panamanian former United States soldier, the U.S. first black female prisoner of war
- Shoshana Kamin, Soviet-born Israeli mathematician
- Shoshana Netanyahu (born 1923), Israeli lawyer and judge, a former justice of the Supreme Court of Israel
- Shoshana Parsitz (1892–1969), Zionist activist, educator and Israeli politician
- Shoshana Ribner (born 1938), Israeli Olympic swimmer
- Shoshana Riseman (born 1948), Israeli music educator, stage director and composer
- Shoshana Rudiakov, Latvian pianist
- Shoshana Zuboff (born 1951), the Charles Edward Wilson Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School (retired)
In popular culture
- Shoshanna Dreyfus, the ill-fated French Jew who is the female protagonist of the 2009 movie, Inglourious Basterds.
- Shoshanna Shapiro, the youngest member of the group of friends in HBO's Girls.
- Shoshanna, the name of Upskirt Kurt's seaplane in the Bob's Burgers episode "Seaplane!"
- Shoshanna, Snake's girlfriend in the Simpsons episode '"Bart Sells His Soul."
- Susannah (given name)
- Shoshana Foundation, non-profit organization founded in 1986 upon the death of Richard F. Gold who was a long time administrator at both the New York City Opera and Chamber Opera Theater of New York
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|