Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss
|Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss|
Lonstein Gruss in 2009
May 29, 1975
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||George Washington University
University of California, Los Angeles
|Spouse(s)||Joshua Gruss (m. 2003; div. 2014)|
Shoshanna Lonstein Gruss (born May 29, 1975) is an American fashion designer and the founder and creative director of the fashion label Shoshanna, which was launched in 1998.
Shoshanna Lonstein was born and raised in Manhattan, New York. She attended Nightingale-Bamford School for girls in New York City's Upper East Side, graduating in 1993. She began college at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. but, in 1994, transferred to the University of California, Los Angeles. In 1997, she graduated from UCLA with a double bachelor's degree in history and art history. Upon graduation, Shoshanna decided to explore her interests in fashion by starting at the ground level, working at a lingerie factory.
With a loan from her father, Zach Lonstein, chief executive officer of Infocrossing, she started her clothing company in 1998 with the mission to design a clothing line that appealed to different body types.
While still a 17-year-old high school student, Shoshanna came to public attention by dating then 38-year-old Jerry Seinfeld, who was at the time starring in his eponymous sitcom. Early in their relationship, Spy Magazine referred to her as "a legal voter".  They dated for approximately four years, from 1993 to 1997, before the relationship ended. She transferred from GW to UCLA in part to be with Seinfeld and cited missing New York City and constant press coverage as reasons for the relationship ending.
On May 10, 2003, Lonstein married Joshua Gruss, son of financier Martin D. Gruss and grandson of financier and philanthropist Joseph S. Gruss. Joshua Gruss is a Partner at Gruss & Co., a private investment firm based in New York City, and CEO of Round Hill Music.  They have three children, a daughter, Sienna, born in 2005 who now models for her, and twins, Angelica and Joseph Colby, born in 2012. The pair divorced in 2014.
Gruss is a Trustee of the Nightingale-Bamford School and also a member of their Alumnae Board Committee. Gruss is a founding chair of the Sesame Workshop family leadership committee and a founding member of The Rockefeller University’s Parents and Science Steering Committee. She is an active member of Congregation Emanu-El of New York. Gruss was Vice Chairman of the associate committee of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and its Children’s Committee from 2012-2014.
- "Shoshanna Lonstein." Biography in Context. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 10 Feb. 2011.
- "About Shoshanna". Shoshanna.com. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Shoshanna". Shoshanna Inc. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Elizabeth Arden Appoints Shoshanna Gruss as Brand's First-Ever Style Director". ElizabethArden.com. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- "America's Next Top Model: If You Can't Make It Here, You Can't Make It Anywhere » Design Scene - Fashion, Photography, Style & Design". Design Scene. 2008-04-08. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- New York Times: "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS; Shoshanna Lonstein, Joshua Gruss" May 11, 2003
- New York Times: "Joseph Gruss, 91, Philanthropist Who Supported Jewish Schools" By ERIC PACE July 5, 1993
- Archived January 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Filling a Gap in the Market". Leaders Magazine Online. July 3, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Associated Committee". The Society of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.