Shōshichi Kobayashi in Berkeley
January 4, 1932|
|Died||August 29, 2012(aged 80)|
|Awards||Geometry prize (1987)|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Carl B. Allendoerfer|
Shoshichi Kobayashi (小林 昭七 Kobayashi Shōshichi, born on January 4, 1932, in Kōfu, Japan, died on 29 August 2012) was a Japanese-American mathematician. He was a brother of electrical engineer and computer scientist Hisashi Kobayashi. His research interests were in Riemannian and complex manifolds, transformation groups of geometric structures, and Lie algebras.
Kobayashi graduated from the University of Tokyo in 1953. In 1956, he earned a Ph.D. from the University of Washington under Carl B. Allendoerfer. His dissertation was Theory of Connections. He then spent two years at the Institute for Advanced Study and two years at MIT. He joined the faculty of the University of California, Berkeley in 1962 as an assistant professor, was awarded tenure the following year, and was promoted to full professor in 1966.
Kobayashi served as chairman of the Berkeley Mathematics Dept. for a three-year term from 1978 to 1981 and for the 1992 Fall semester. He chose early retirement under the VERIP plan in 1994.
- Foundations of differential geometry (1963, 1969), coauthor with Katsumi Nomizu, Interscience Publishers.
- Reprinted in 1996, from John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hyperbolic Manifolds And Holomorphic Mappings: An Introduction (1970/2005)，World Scientific Publishing Company
- Transformation Groups in Differential Geometry (1972), Springer-Verlag, ISBN 0-387-05848-6
- 曲線と曲面の微分幾何 (1982), 裳華房
- Complex Differential Geometry (1983), Birkhauser
- Differential Geometry of Complex Vector Bundles (1987), Princeton University Press
- 接続の微分幾何とゲージ理論 (1989), 裳華房
- ユークリッド幾何から現代幾何へ (1990), 日本評論社
- Hyperbolic Complex Space (1998)，Springer
- 複素幾何 (2005), 岩波書店
- ＵＣバークリー校名誉教授・小林昭七さん死去 (in Japanese). Asahi Shimbun. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Jensen, Gary R (2014). "Remembering Shoshichi Kobayashi". Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 61 (11): 1322&ndash, 1332. doi:10.1090/noti1184.
- S. Kobayashi (1957). "Theory of Connections". Annali di Matematica Pura ed Applicata. 43: 119–194. doi:10.1007/bf02411907.
- Griffiths, P. (1972). "Review: Hyperbolic manifolds and holomorphic mappings, by S. Kobayashi". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 78 (4): 487–490. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1972-12966-5.
- Okonek, Christian (1988). "Review: Differential geometry of complex vector bundles, by S. Kobayashi". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 19 (2): 528–530. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1988-15731-x.
- 特集◎小林昭七 [Feature: Kobayashi Shoshichi]. 数学セミナー (in Japanese). February 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-01-26.