February 15, 1963 |
|Alma mater||Fudan University
Free University of Berlin
State University of New York at Stony Brook (PhD)
|Known for||Quantum spin Hall effect
Field theory of quantum Hall effect
SO(5) theory of high temperature superconductivity
|Awards||Europhysics Prize (2010)
Oliver Buckley Prize (2012)
Dirac Medal of the ICTP (2012)
|Doctoral advisor||Peter van Nieuwenhuizen|
Shoucheng Zhang (Chinese: 张首晟; born 1963) is the JG Jackson and CJ Wood professor of physics at Stanford University. He is a condensed matter theorist known for his work on topological insulators, quantum spin Hall effect, spintronics, quantum Hall effect and high temperature superconductivity.
Zhang received his undergraduate B.S. degree in 1983 at the Free University of Berlin, Germany, and his Ph.D. in 1987 at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Stony Brook.
Zhang was a postdoctoral Fellow at ITP in Santa Barbara from 1987 to 1989. He then joined IBM Almaden Research Center as a Research Staff Member from 1980 to 1993. Thereafter, he joined Stanford University as Assistant Professor of Physics. Since 2004, he concurrently hold (by courtesy appointment) titles of Professor Applied Physics and Professor of Electrical Engineering at Stanford University. In 2010, he was name the J. G. Jackson and C. J. Wood Professor in Physics. 
Honors & awards
Zhang is a fellow of the American Physical Society and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He received the Guggenheim fellowship in 2007, the Alexander von Humboldt research prize in 2009, the Europhysics prize in 2010, the Oliver Buckley prize in 2012, the Dirac Medal and Prize in 2012, the Physics Frontiers Prize in 2013, the “Nobel-class” Citation Laureates by Thomson Reuters in 2014 and the Benjamin Franklin Medal in 2015. He is identified as one of the top candidates for the Nobel Prize by Thomson Reuters in 2014. He was elected as a member of the National Academy of Science in 2015.
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences 
- Guggenheim fellow, 2007
- Alexander von Humboldt research prize, 2009
- Europhysics prize, 2010
- Oliver Buckley prize, 2012 
- Dirac Medal of the ICTP, 2012 
- Physics Frontier Prize, 2013 
- “Nobel-class” Citation Laureates by Thomson Reuters, 2014 
- Benjamin Franklin Medal, 2015 
- Member, National Academy of Science
- Quantum spin hall effect in HgTe quantum well theoretically predicted (taken from  without citation)
- Quantum spin hall effect in HgTe quantum well experimentally demonstrated
- Topological field theory of time-reversal invariant insulators
- Topological insulators in Bi2Se3, Bi2Te3 and Sb2Te3
- Physics Today
- Reviews of Modern Physics
- "Topological quintet bags Europhysics prize". Physics World. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "SHOUCHENG ZHANG, Department of Physics, Stanford University".
- "Meet The Scientists Who Could Win This Year's Physics Nobel Prize". Business Insider. 2014-09-25.
- "Thomson Reuters Predicts 2014 Nobel Laureates, Researchers Forecast for Nobel Recognition". Thomson Reuters. 2014-09-20.
- "Eight Stanford scholars named to American Academy of Arts and Sciences". News.stanford.edu. 2011-04-22. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize". Aps.org. 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Dirac Medal and Prize". Aps.org. 2012-08-08. Archived from the original on 2016-12-15. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- "Physics Frontier Prize". physics.stanford.edu.
- "Thomson Reuters Predicts 2014 Nobel Laureates, Researchers Forecast for Nobel Recognition". Thomson Reuters. Archived from the original on 2014-09-26.
- "Benjamin Franklin Medal". news.stanford.edu. 2014-11-03.
- "Nine Stanford faculty members elected to National Academy of Sciences". news.stanford.edu. 2015-04-30.
- "Quantum Spin Hall Effect and Topological Phase Transition in HgTe Quantum Wells". Sciencemag.org. 2006-12-15. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Pankratov, O.A.; Pakhomov, S.V.; Volkov, B.A. (January 1987). "Supersymmetry in heterojunctions: Band-inverting contact on the basis of Pb1-xSnxTe and Hg1-xCdxTe". Solid State Communications. 61 (2): 93–96. Bibcode:1987SSCom..61...93P. doi:10.1016/0038-1098(87)90934-3.
- "Quantum Spin Hall Insulator State in HgTe Quantum Wells". Sciencemag.org. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Qi, X. L.; Hughes, T. L.; Zhang, S. C. (2010). "Erratum: Topological field theory of time-reversal invariant insulators \Phys. Rev. B 78, 195424 (2008)". Physical Review B. 81 (15). Bibcode:2010PhRvB..81o9901Q. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.81.159901.
- "Topological insulators in Bi: 2: Se: 3: , Bi: 2: Te: 3: and Sb: 2: Te: 3: with a single Dirac cone on the surface : Abstract : Nature Physics". Nature Physics. Nature.com. 5: 438–442. doi:10.1038/nphys1270. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Qi, X. L.; Zhang, S. C. (2011). "Topological insulators and superconductors". Reviews of Modern Physics. 83 (4): 1057. arXiv: . Bibcode:2011RvMP...83.1057Q. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.83.1057.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shoucheng Zhang.|