Shout! The Legend of The Wild One
|Shout! The Legend of the Wild One|
Shout! The Legend of the Wild One is an Australian musical based on the life of Johnny O'Keefe. It debuted in 2000 in a production directed by Richard Wherrett featuring David Campbell and has been much revived.
In the mid 1970s Johnny O'Keefe shows his new fiancé to see the Sydney Stadium before it is demolished. He begins to reminisce about his life, growing up in Sydney and falling for Marianne, a German immigrant. When he hears Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and the Comets he discovers a passion for rock music and persuades Lee Gordon to promote him.
O'Keefe becomes famous and successful. But he is involved in a car crash and fails to crack the US market. He and Gordon fall out, his marriage collapses and Gordon dies.
However O'Keefe makes a comeback in the 1970s.
- "Wild One (Real Wild Child)"
- "Tourin' Time"
- "Faith of Our Fathers"
- "She's My Baby"
- "I’m Gonna Knock On Your Door"
- "Move Baby Move"
- "Over The Mountain"
- "Purple People Eater/Witch Doctor"
- "Rock Around The Clock"
- "Save The Last Dance For Me"
- "She Wears My Ring"
- "Bye Bye Baby"
- "What I’d Say"
- "Sun's Gonna Shine Tomorrow"
- "Shimmy Shimmy Koko Bop"
- "Get A Job"
- "Rock 'N' Roll Will Stand"
- "Johnny Angel"
- Peter Fitzpatrick, Whose turn to shout? The crisis in Australian musical theatre today., Australasian Drama Studies, 38, April 2001, 16-28
- "SOUNDTRACK - SHOUT! THE LEGEND OF THE WILD ONE (ALBUM)". www.australian-charts.com. Retrieved 10 May 2016.