Shout! The Mod Musical
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
SHOUT! The Mod Musical is an Off-Broadway musical by Phillip George and David Lowenstein featuring songs from the swinging sixties. The musical features five female singers who are called, Orange, Blue, Green, Yellow and Red.
The show is set in London between the early 1960s and 1970, and follows the lives of five women in their 20's (The Red Girl), 30's (Green, Blue, and Yellow girls) and 40's (Orange girl) who all face tough situations, usually involving relationships. Throughout the story, all five women send letters to Gwendolyn Holmes, who works for the magazine "Shout!" in an advice column and gives them advice on how to deal with said issues.
The Yellow girl is the only American character in the show, who traveled all the way to Britain in order to see Paul McCartney. The Orange woman is shown as a full grown woman who is married, in her forties, and is starting to suspect her husband is cheating on her. The Blue girl is gorgeous and wealthy, and while she can go on and on about how perfect her life is, she does face some questions regarding her sexuality. The Green girl is a bit of a "slut" in the show, always hooking up with many men and throwing innuendos around. Finally, the Red girl is the youngest and most hopeful character; she is a bit hopeless in the beginning, stating she is not good-looking like other girls, until the man of her dreams comes along.
- Yellow Girl: Erin Crosby
- Red Girl: Denise Summerford
- Orange Girl : Julie Dingman-Evans
- Blue Girl: Marie-France Arcilla
- Green Girl: Erica Schroeder
- SHOUT! The Mod Musical at the Music Theatre International website
- "Shout! The Mod Musical Channels the Energy and Style of 60s London" from The Houston Press
- "'Shout!' Sings Its Way Back to the Mod Years" from The New York Times
- "Musical makes you 'Shout!,' pout" from Chicago Sun-Times
- "REVIEW:'Shout! the Mod Musical'" from Associated Press
- "Five Women in the Key of Lulu: Shout! The Mod Musical Gets NYC Run" from Playbill