Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)
|"Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)"|
|Single by Backstreet Boys|
|from the album In a World Like This|
|Released||November 18, 2013|
|Studio||MTR Studios, Hollywood, California|
Chalice Recording Studios, Hollywood, California
|Producer(s)||Morgan Taylor Reid|
|Backstreet Boys singles chronology|
"Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)" is a song by American pop group Backstreet Boys from their eighth studio album In a World Like This. It was released as the second single from the album on November 18, 2013. The song was written by Morgan Taylor Reid, Mika Guillory, and Backstreet Boys members AJ McLean and Kevin Richardson.
Background and recording
My dad right before I was getting ready to go to football practice, he would say, ‘Show ‘em what you’re made of bud!’ That’s kind of how that song got inspired. Another inspiration for A.J. and I writing this song was our children. The innocence and wonder in their eyes is so precious. I want them to keep it forever and I want to rediscover it within myself. No limits, no fear.— Kevin Richardson
Richardson got the inspiration for the title of the song from his late father's words. The song was co-written by bandmate AJ McLean and is meant to be a pep talk for their children, and also as a positive reinforcement for the world in general. "This is as a positive reinforcement-type song because there’s so much negativity out there. The world needs positivity! The song turned out beyond what we ever expected. It became this huge emotional record," McLean said.
A music video for the song, directed by Jon Vulpine, was filmed in Miami, Florida, on October 24, 2013. It was premiered on November 19, 2013, on the group's official Facebook page and then released on Vevo a day later.
The video takes on a minimalistic approach, showing individual shots of each band member against a black background. A.J. and Brian were shirtless as they were going by the song theme and show something important for them personally—a tattoo dedicated to his daughter for A.J. and a heart surgery scar for Brian. Brian had an open heart surgery in 1998 to correct a birth defect and hadn't been seen shirtless publicly ever since.
- Digital download
- "Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)" – 3:44
- UK Promo CD single
- "Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) (Ash Howes Radio Mix)" – 3:44
- "Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) (Album Version)" – 3:47
- "Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) (Morgan Taylor Reid Mix)" – 3:41
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||17|
|UK Indie Chart (Official Charts Company)||3|
|Netherlands||November 18, 2013||Digital download|
|Austria||November 22, 2013|
|Ireland||December 15, 2013|
- "The Backstreet Boys' 'Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) Video: A Noir Fantasia Of Boy Band Facial Expressions". MTV. November 19, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Baltin, Steve (July 25, 2013). "Backstreet Boys 'Grow Up' on New Album and Reflect on 20 Years of Pop". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- "Kevin Richardson Says BSB Song Was Inspired by His Dad's Wisdom". Ryan Seacrest. August 2, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Backstreet Boys 'Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)' music video features shirtless Brian, AJ". Entertainment Weekly. November 19, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- McQuiston, James (November 19, 2013). "BACKSTREET BOYS RELEASE OFFICIAL SHOW 'EM VIDEO". NeuFutur Magazine. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Lang-Einczig, Yvette (October 22, 2013). "Backstreet Boys "Show Em (What You're Made Of)" (Jon Vulpine, dir.)". videostatic.com. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Grossman, Samantha (November 19, 2013). "This New Backstreet Boys Video Probably Caused an International Hair Gel Shortage". Time. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Backstreet Boys Go Shirtless, Unveil Fit Bodies in "Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)" Music Video—Watch Now!". E! Online. November 19, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Backstreet Boys "Show 'Em (What You're Made Of)"".
- Weigle, Lauren (December 12, 2013). "Backstreet Boys Serenade the Women on 'The View'". Heavy. Retrieved December 15, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Backstreet Boys release 'Show Em What You're Made Of' music video with simple, dramatic theme for second 'In A World Like This' single [WATCH]". Mstarz. November 19, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) (Media notes). Backstreet Boys. BMG. 2013. PROMOBMG1029.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Backstreet Boys" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40. Retrieved June 21, 2017.