||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Marquee of venue circa 2007
|Former names||Showbox Theater (1939-48)
Showbox Ballroom (1953-60)
The Gathering (1967-74)
Talmud Torah (1975-79)
Showbox Lounge (1992-94)
Showbox Comedy and Supper Club (1994-2007)
Showbox at the Market (2007-14)
|Address||1426 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
|Location||Pike Place Market|
|Opened||July 24, 1939|
History and usage
Founded in 1939, the Showbox has hosted a diverse offering of music over the decades. From the Jazz Age to the Grunge Era, the ballroom has featured shows by Duke Ellington, Muddy Waters and the Ramones — as well as local artists such as burlesque performer Gypsy Rose Lee to the grunge band Pearl Jam. Other acts to perform at The Showbox have included Al Jolson, Mae West, Nat King Cole, Jimmy Durante and Dizzy Gillespie. The Police, XTC, X, Blondie, Gang of Four, Iggy Pop, Devo and Dead Kennedys. More recent performers include The Weeknd, Snoop Dogg, Dave Matthews, Kanye West, Robbie Williams, Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie, Public Enemy, PJ Harvey, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, Daft Punk, Old 97's, Elliott Smith, Peter Murphy, Guided By Voices, Built To Spill, Billy Idol, David Bazan, Bebel Gilberto, Cat Power, Spiritualized, Sleater-Kinney, Coldplay, Bright Eyes, The Roots, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Dita Von Teese, Maroon 5, The Shins, The Melvins, My Morning Jacket, LL Cool J, DJ Shadow, Scissor Sisters, TV On The Radio, Ke$ha, Kimbra, Marina and the Diamonds, B-52's, Lady Gaga, Ice Cube, Paul Simon and many more.
|Former names||Fenix Underground
|Address||1700 1st Avenue South
Seattle, WA 98134
Showbox SoDo opened in 2007 and belongs to "Showbox Presents" family. It is located at 1700 1st Avenue South, Seattle, Washington. It takes its name from the SoDo district, referring to an area south of Safeco Field and CenturyLink Field.
The Showbox added to its family in 2007 with the addition of the larger Showbox SoDo, a converted-warehouse-turned-concert venue located just south of the sports stadiums in the SoDo district. The space has wood-beam and brick architecture. In its short history, the venue has already hosted events featuring Kid Rock, Heart, The Pogues, M.I.A, The Hives, Dropkick Murphys, Josh Ritter, Counting Crows, Panic! at the Disco, Adam Lambert, Odd Future, and many more.
- Scanlon, Tom (August 13, 2007). "Music & nightlife | Fenix closes; Showbox Sodo will take over club | Seattle Times Newspaper". Seattletimes.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- Rose, Cynthia (May 23, 1996). "Living | Reinventing Itself Again - The Showbox Has Housed Acts From Duke Ellington To Punkers, From Taxi-Dancing To Hip-Hop, Even Bingo. Now It Returns To Its Classier Roots. | Seattle Times Newspaper". Community.seattletimes.nwsource.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "AEG Live Buys Showbox | Line Out | The Stranger's Music Blog | The Stranger | Seattle's Only Newspaper". Lineout.thestranger.com. December 6, 2007. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- Blecha, Peter (July 9, 2014). "The Showbox (Seattle)". HistoryLink. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "Showbox Presents :: Home". Showboxonline.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.