||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2012)|
Marquee of venue circa 2007
|Former names||Showbox Theater (1939-48)
Showbox Ballroom (1953-60)
The Gathering (1967-74)
Talmud Torah (1975-79)
Showbox Lounge (1992-94)
Showbox Comedy and Supper Club (1994-2007)
Showbox at the Market (2007-14)
|Address||1426 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
|Location||Pike Place Market|
|Opened||July 24, 1939|
History and usage
Founded in 1939, the Showbox has provided local music fans a diverse offering of music over the decades. From the Jazz Age to the Grunge Era, the ballroom has featured shows by touring icons such as Duke Ellington, Muddy Waters and the Ramones — as well as those by homegrown talents ranging from burlesque queen Gypsy Rose Lee to grunge gods Pearl Jam. Although The Showbox has had its ups and downs in times past, today it remains active as a significant contributor to Seattle's music scene, presenting more than 200 concerts per year to a diverse group of Seattle music lovers.
Over the course of its history, The Showbox has hosted acts ranging from Al Jolson, Mae West, Nat King Cole, Jimmy Durante and Dizzy Gillespie to The Police, XTC, X, Blondie, Gang of Four, Iggy Pop, Devo and Dead Kennedys. More recent performers included in Showbox at the Market's unique and varied roster include The Weeknd, Snoop Dogg, Dave Matthews, Kanye West, Robbie Williams, Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie, Public Enemy, PJ Harvey, Wilco, The Flaming Lips, Daft Punk, Old 97's, Elliott Smith, Peter Murphy, Guided By Voices, Built To Spill, Billy Idol, David Bazan, Bebel Gilberto, Cat Power, Spiritualized, Sleater-Kinney, Coldplay, Bright Eyes, The Roots, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Dita Von Teese, Maroon 5, The Shins, The Melvins, My Morning Jacket, LL Cool J, DJ Shadow, Scissor Sisters, TV On The Radio, Ke$ha, Kimbra, Marina and the Diamonds, B-52's, Lady Gaga, Ice Cube, Paul Simon and countless others.
- Scanlon, Tom (August 13, 2007). "Music & nightlife | Fenix closes; Showbox Sodo will take over club | Seattle Times Newspaper". Seattletimes.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- Rose, Cynthia (May 23, 1996). "Living | Reinventing Itself Again - The Showbox Has Housed Acts From Duke Ellington To Punkers, From Taxi-Dancing To Hip-Hop, Even Bingo. Now It Returns To Its Classier Roots. | Seattle Times Newspaper". Community.seattletimes.nwsource.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "AEG Live Buys Showbox | Line Out | The Stranger's Music Blog | The Stranger | Seattle's Only Newspaper". Lineout.thestranger.com. December 6, 2007. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- Blecha, Peter (July 9, 2014). "The Showbox (Seattle)". HistoryLink. Retrieved December 26, 2015.
- "Showbox Presents :: Home". Showboxonline.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.