|Launched||September 7, 2001|
Corus Entertainment |
(name licensed from A&E Networks)
|Formerly called||Showcase Diva (2001–2012)|
Channel 335 (SD) |
Channel 1707 (HD)
Channel 615 (SD) |
81 / 581 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||
Channel 561 (SD)|
Channel 516 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||
Channel 335 (SD)|
Channel 1335 (HD)
Channel 244 (SD)|
Channel 1244 (HD)
Channel 9386 (SD)|
Channel 386 (HD)
Channel 81 (SD)|
Channel 381 (HD)
|HuronTel Digital TV||Channel 307 (HD)|
|VMedia||Channel 83 (HD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 117 (HD)|
Lifetime is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel owned by Corus Entertainment. Based on the U.S cable network of the same name, Lifetime broadcasts films, dramatic television series, and reality series aimed at women.
In November 2000, Alliance Atlantis (via the Showcase Television subsidiary) was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a television channel called Romance Television, described as "a national English-language Category 2 specialty television service devoted to romance. Programming will include relationship- themed game shows and magazine style programs featuring romantic vacation resorts. Other programs will explore romantic moments in people's lives, as well as classic romantic feature films, epic mini-series and made-for-television movies."
The channel was launched on September 7, 2001 as Showcase Diva, a spin-off of Showcase. Programming consisted of primarily television dramas and films.
On January 18, 2008, acquired control of Showcase Diva through its purchase of Alliance Atlantis' broadcasting assets, which were placed in a trust in August 2007. On October 27, 2010, ownership changed again as Shaw Communications gained control of Showcase Diva as a result of its acquisition of Canwest and Goldman Sachs' interest in CW Media.
On May 30, 2012, it was announced that Showcase Diva would be rebranded as a Canadian version of Lifetime on August 27, 2012, through a brand licensing agreement with the U.S. channel's parent company A+E Networks. The rebrand would result in the addition of more reality series, talk shows and other original series from Lifetime to the channel's films and television dramas.
On May 29, 2013, Shaw Media launched Lifetime HD, a high definition simulcast of the standard definition feed. It is currently available on Eastlink, Shaw Direct, Shaw Cable, Bell Fibe TV, and Bell TV. Rogers Cable would later add the HD feed on April 24, 2014.
- Decision CRTC 2000-674 CRTC 2000-12-14
- Canwest Global receives final CRTC approval for acquisition of Alliance Atlantis CNW press release 2008-01-18
- CanWest Completes Acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Archived 2012-04-23 at the Wayback Machine. Investor Point 2007-08-15
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media[dead link]
- CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties Archived 2013-12-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Upfronts: Shaw adds more drama to Global and brings Lifetime to Canada Archived 2012-06-03 at the Wayback Machine. Dose.ca 2012-05-30
- Shaw Media and A+E Networks extend partnership to bring to Canada two exciting channels in fall Shaw Media press release 2012-05-30
- "Shaw Media and A&E to Launch Two New Specialty Channels". Broadcaster Magazine. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Corus Entertainment Completes Acquisition of Shaw Media". Retrieved April 2, 2016.