Type of site
|Video on demand|
|Area served||Andorra, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Portugal, Reunion, Rwanda, Saint Helena, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, South Africa, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, United Kingdom, Zambia, Zimbabwe|
|Launched||19 August 2015|
Showmax is a part of MultiChoice Group (which itself is a spin-off of Naspers). Showmax's engineering team is based in the Czech Republic. Showmax publishes engineering and research articles on a technical blog.
Showmax offers consumers a free 14-day trial.
In December 2015, Showmax expanded its reach to audiences in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, North America and Canada.
In May 2016, Showmax expanded to 36 countries in Africa, taking the total number of countries in which Showmax is available to 65.
In July 2016, Showmax passed the 10 million views milestone.
In October 2016, Showmax launched Showmax Select and Showmax Premium in Kenya.
On 31 January 2019, Showmax was closed in Poland.
Showmax's download feature allows users to download up to 25 shows or movies at a time and watch them offline on Android and iOS tablets and smartphones. There are four different quality settings to reduce the amount of data required to download.
In August 2016, Showmax launched a bandwidth-capping tool that allows users to choose different quality levels. Subscribers can select either a low bandwidth cap of 0.3 GB/hr, a medium cap of 0.7 GB/hr, or leave usage uncapped.
In August 2016, Showmax added a multiple profile feature including the ability to set up child-friendly profiles with four age settings.
This is a list of supported devices:
- Personal Computers (using web browsers)
- Apple iPhones and iPads running iOS 9.3 or higher
- Apple TV (4th Generation)
- Android phones and tablets running Android 4.1 or higher
- Android media and TV devices running Android 4.1 or higher
- Samsung Smart TVs (2012 and later)
- Samsung Tizen Smart TVs (2015 and later)
- LG NetCast Smart TVs (2012 to 2014)
- LG WebOS Smart TVs (2014 and later)
- Hisense Vidaalite 2.0, Vidaa U2 Smart TVs (2016 and later, Africa only)
- DStv Explora (South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria only)
- Apple AirPlay
- Google Cast (casting from the Showmax app for Android or iOS)
- Xbox One
- PlayStation 4 (South Africa only)
In Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
Outside of Africa: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and United Kingdom
In Africa the Showmax catalogue consists of Hollywood, British, Kenyan and South African content. Outside of Africa the Showmax catalogue consists of kykNET International, M-Net and Via content targeted primarily at an Afrikaans-speaking audience.
Showmax has content in English, Afrikaans, isiZulu, Sepedi, SeTswana, Sesotho, isiXhosa and Polish.
Tali's Wedding Diary
The Girl From St Agnes
Showmax's first original drama series, The Girl From St Agnes was released on 31 January 2019. In the eight-part murder mystery, the mysterious death of a schoolgirl at an elite boarding school sets off a desperate hunt for the truth. The series was filmed on location in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands.
Trippin with Skhumba
In February 2019, Showmax announced its first original travel show, Trippin with Skhumba, hosted by South African comedian Skhumba Hlope. The series will launch on 28 February. Guests on the first season include South African comedians such as Celeste Ntuli, Siya Seya, Salesman, Mashabela Galane, Tumi Morake and Schalk Bezuidenhout.
- "Introduction". Showmax. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- Lautenbach, Kyle (21 August 2015). "Showmax officially launched in South Africa, here are the details". IGN Africa.
- Wexler, Alexandra (24 December 2016). "In Africa, a Homegrown Rival Takes On Netflix". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Vourlias, Christopher (14 December 2016). "Africa Offers Big Potential for Streaming Video". Variety. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Showmax seeking new telco partnerships". www.techcentral.co.za. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Henderson, Roxanne. "Amazon Prime Video now available in South Africa". Times LIVE. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Shapshak, Toby. "How Soviet-Era Improvisation Helped Make Video Streaming Better In Africa". Forbes. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "kykNET goes global on-demand on Showmax". Channel. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Shapshak, Toby. "Netflix Competitor Showmax Launches Into 36 African Countries". Forbes. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Hlongwane, Sefiso. "Impressive! ShowMax garners over 10 million views in less than a year". Times LIVE. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "ShowMax changes logo, hits 10 millions views". Channel. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- Shapshak, Toby. "ShowMax Goes Mobile In Kenya". Forbes. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "ShowMax servers now in Kenya". www.techcentral.co.za. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Shapshak, Toby. "African Internet Giant Naspers Launches Streaming Service In Poland". Forbes. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- ""Saturday Night Live". Aktorzy zapowiadają polską edycję amerykańskiego show! [WIDEO+ZDJĘCIA] - Telemagazyn.pl". www.telemagazyn.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Showmax wychodzi z Polski. Platforma będzie dostępna tylko do końca stycznia - WP Teleshow". teleshow.wp.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "ShowMax offers offline viewing on Android". Fin24. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "ShowMax "download now, watch later" feature on iPhone and iPad". Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "New Showmax tool promises 75% data savings". Fin24. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- Fripp, Charlie (4 August 2016). "ShowMax now has profiles to protect kids from adult content". htxt.africa. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "Introduction". Showmax. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Chutel, Lynsey; Chutel, Lynsey. "An original teen drama shows streaming service Showmax is ready to grow up". Quartz Africa. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- "Filming wraps on Showmax's first original drama, 'The Girl From St Agnes' | IOL Entertainment". www.iol.co.za. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- "Showmax's first original travel show is a joke - and there's a good reason why!". Channel. 6 February 2019. Retrieved 15 February 2019.