Showroom (streaming service)
Type of site
|Owner||SHOWROOM Co., Ltd.|
|Created by||Yuji Maeda|
|Launched||November 25, 2013|
Showroom, stylized as SHOWROOM, is a Japanese live streaming service used primarily for Japanese idols and voice actors. A development of DeNA, it has been integrated into the audition process for idol groups such as 22/7, Nogizaka46, and Keyakizaka46.
App analytics company App Annie announced on September 13, 2017 that for the first half of 2017, in terms of revenue, SHOWROOM is Japan's top-ranked video distribution application.
The service is used for daily live-streams which may be viewed for free. As of March 2018, there are no paid or subscription-based memberships. Revenue is generated from paid virtual gift items given to the performer from registered members during live-streams. Earnings are shared with the performers based upon the number of points they accumulate for audience size, the number of comments and other factors, and production companies may offer licensing deals or other music offers.
Initially, it only allowed streaming by the DeNA headquarters studio and by officially-recognized entertainers. After September 13, 2014, any registered member could live-stream. English language support was also added.
- November 25, 2013 - Browser-based service initiated by DeNA Corporation
- December 20, 2013 - Android app launched
- January 14, 2014 - iOS app launched
- June 10, 2014 - Added the free gift system given as a bonus for watching streams
- September 13, 2014 - All registered members are allowed to live-stream, English support added.
- October 1, 2014 - 10-minute additional usage limit for amateur dedicated gift items and paid gifts raised to 10000 gold
- January 9, 2015 - Free release of official dedicated streaming software "SHOWROOM Producer"
- February 9, 2015 - Added a 25-character maximum chyron function displayed at the top of the video
- April 1, 2015 - Released an iOS-version of "SHOWROOM Producer"
- May 18, 2015 - Limit raised for maximum amount of free gift items
- May 2015 - Viewing fees charged for some official content (Yokohama DeNA BayStars game live-stream, etc.)
- August 3, 2015 - DeNA Corporation spins off SHOWROOM Co., Ltd. to operate the service.
- "Establishment of SHOWROOM Co., Ltd. through Spinoff" (Press release) (in Japanese). DeNA. 2015-06-24. Retrieved 2018-12-05.
- "SHOWROOMって何？前田裕二社長に聞いた。アイドルの"やる気"にファンが"投げ銭"". HuffPost Japan (in Japanese). 2017-07-13. Retrieved 2018-12-05.
- 秋元康総合プロデュース・デジタルアイドル 合格者は12人. oricon.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- 乃木坂46第3期オーディション、候補生がSHOWROOMでアピール (in Japanese). natalie. 2016-08-25. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- けやき坂46(ひらがなけやき)、SHOWROOMで新メンバーオーディションを配信. realsound.jp (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- 上半期動画配信アプリランキング 収益１位はＤｅＮＡ系「ショールーム」. Sankei Shimbun (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- Geeks' favorite DeNA interactive streaming platform looks beyond Japan～. PC World. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "スターが生まれる場所を作りたい - DeNAが仕掛けるパフォーマーの仮想ライブ空間配信サービス「Showroom」". THE BRIDGE. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- オーディション情報 - De☆View
- 仮想ライブ空間「SHOWROOM」が全面リニューアル～提供コンテンツを大幅拡充・一般ユーザによる配信が可能に～. DeNA Press Release (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-04-15.