|Occupation||film director, screenwriter|
Shozin Fukui (福居ショウジン Fukui Shōjin?) is a Japanese film director and screenwriter. He has produced two experimental shorts (Gerorisuto, and Caterpillar) and two full-length films (964 Pinocchio, and Rubber's Lover). These four movies are widely available, having been reissued on DVD by Unearthed Films. He has released four more films since then (Onne, Den-Sen, The Hiding and 『S-94』). These are almost completely unknown outside of Japan.
964 Pinocchio is often compared to Shinya Tsukamoto's cyberpunk classic Tetsuo: The Iron Man; Fukui worked on the crew for Tetsuo. Many fans and critics consider Fukui's aesthetic to be sufficiently divergent from Tsukamoto's for his films to stand on their own, even considering the extremely deep similarities.
- Metal Days (1986)
- Gerorisuto (1986)
- Caterpillar (1988)
- 964 Pinocchio (1991)
- Rubber's Lover (1996)
- Onne (2006)
- Den-Sen (2006)
- Derenai (2007) Director's Cut of Onne
- The Hiding (2008)
- S-94 (2009)
- "Cyberpunk icon Shozin Fukui returns with ‘The Hiding’".
- "Shozin Fukui director profile". Subtitled Online.
- "Pinocchio 964 (1992)". The New York Times.
- Mes, Tom (2005). Iron Man. The Cinema of Shinya Tsukamoto. Page 226. FAB Press. ISBN 1-903254-36-1
- Player, Mark. "Post-Human Nightmares: The World of Japanese Cyberpunk Cinema". Midnight Eye.