Shreedeep Rayamajhi (activist)
Shreedeep Rayamajhi protesting against Political Deadlock of Nepal
February 16, 1983|
|Known for||Internet activism, Blogging, Journalism, Political activism|
Shreedeep Rayamajhi (Nepali:श्रीदिप रायमाझी) is a Nepalese online Activist and blogger. He is well known locally for his continuous activism against political deadlock & Human Rights issues of Nepal. He is a former reporter of Rising Nepal, a National Daily, and a regular news contributor on CNN iReport and GroundReport. Voicing issues of concern, he also writes about internet governance, climate change and violence against women through his blogs, he is also a fellow graduate from the DiploFoundation on Internet Governance and Climate Change.
Rayamajhi was born to Laxman Shumsher and Gauri Rayamajhi on February 16, 1983 in Kathmandu, Nepal. He completed his school level education from Saraswati Boarding Higher Secondary School. He graduated from Tribhuvan University as Management student.
Rayamajhi has been associated with journalism and political activism. He started his career with The Rising Nepal as a reporter. He worked their for more than 2 year and joined Nepal Travellers. He worked their for more than 4 years. Working and voicing issues of Nepal's Tourism, he also worked as the First Associate Editor of Travel Nepal Magazine.
He has regularly contributed on CNNireport and GroundReport on various local events, since 2008. He has been an outspoken blogger, writing on popular social and political matters, such as; Internet governance and political deadlock. Along with Nepal Unites, a young league of political activists, he has successfully organized events to appeal law makers to expedite Nepal's Constitution Drafting process. The rally attracted huge number of crowd, which was covered by News agencies, and was also filmed by IRIN NEWS.
He is one of the founding members of Internet Society Nepal and currently has been an executive member of Internet Society of Nepal, and regularly contributes through blogging or personal participation on the matters regarding Internet governance and law. He is also the Member of the Multi-stakeholder steering Group(MSG) of Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance Forum(APrIGF).
In 2015 he was shortlisted by the Nepal Telecommunications Authority as a Consultant for ICT Development in a roster of consultant for the ICT Industry. Lobbying the issue of Open WSIS+10 Preparatory Process, he is one of the signatories.
In July 2015, Rayamajhi was selected as a Selection Committee member for the United Nations President of the General Assembly's informal interactive consultations on World Summit on the Information Society+10 He is also the Research and Development committee Member of the Federation of Computer Association of Nepal. 
During the Devastating April_2015_Nepal_earthquake, He and a group of volunteers conducted various relief operation in and around the earthquake hit region. He joined the Steering Committee Member of the Internet Rights and Principle Coalition (IRPC) (2016 to 2017).
Physical assault and threat
Center for Human Rights and Democratic Studies (CEHURDES), a member of IFEX, condemned the attack by unidentified persons against Rayamajhi, on November 2010 for his reporting on political matters to local and international news agencies. He received numerous threatening emails in connection with his online reporting to CNNireport and GroundReport. CEHURDES also condemned the action of local law enforcement for lacking to provide security to local reporter, and arrest the perpetrator(s).
Social Media & Awareness Campaigns
- Public comment on IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal - Public Comment Form 
- Researching about issues of women and celebrating the 16 days of protest against Violence against women, this year he came out with a research document 
- Nepal Internet Governance Forum(Nepal IGF) proposal for 2016 
- Recommendations for World Summit on the Information Society +10 
- In December 2014 He started the "Internet Standardization in Nepal" Campaign which later took the form of a report. Similarly on the same Global Voices Reported.
- He was one of the lead campaigners of the Let There be Lights, A protest against the problem of power cut which happened on February 18, 2012 Saturday at Lainchaur ground.
- In April 2011, voicing the rights of the Internet Service Providers of Nepal, he was one of the first person to protest against the arrest of Internet Service Providers Association Nepal members through his article  which later led to the "Shutdown Nepal" a social awareness campaign.
- Likewise, he started the The RED REVOLUTION MOVEMENT  that later resulted in many political and social events.
- Rayamajhi was one of the lead faces of Facebook Activism in Nepal with Common Youth stand up  and Nepal Unites 
Participation and programs
- Participated in the Internet Governance Forum 2013 as the fellow of Internet Society
- Financial Sub Committee Head of Computer Association Nepal IT Conference
- Technical Committee Member for Web Competition 2013
Awards and Recognition
- Represented as the Internet Society Internet Governance Forum 2015 Ambassador in João Pessoa, Brazil 
- Awarded the Prestigious Internet Society IGF 2014 Ambassador representing Nepal 
- World Bank Blog quoted him as A fervent desire for change
- Center for International Media Assistance(CIMA)listed him in their Report:Profiles of Blogging: How do Bloggers Around the World Practise their Craft
- GroundReport has recognized his contributions on-site and awarded him twice for his two best articles, in December 2012.
- GroundReport Recognition Awards April 2011
- Climate Change Diplomacy
- Internet Governance Diplomacy
- Women Exploitation and Violence Issues
- Nepal Adventure and Tourism
- Food and Taste
- "Rayamajhi's Personal profile". Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Namelist of Diplo IG Community".
- "Diplo Climate Change Profile".
- "Freelance journalism career of Rayamajhi". GroundReport. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "BBC Outrider's report on Nepal's current social matter". BBC Outrider (5Live). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "EKantipur News coverage on "Come On Youth Stand Up Rally", of Nepal". Ekantipur.com. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "IRIN News short film on Nepal's political deadlock and protest". IRINNEWS.org. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- Nepali Law Makers postpone Constitution drafting process. Aljazeera English.
- "Executive members of Internet Society of Nepal (ISOC Nepal)". ISOC Nepal. Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Multi-stakeholder steering Group(MSG) of APrIGF".
- "NTA Qualified Shortlisted Candidates for fiscal year 2071/72".
- "signatories who have endorsed for an Open WSIS+10 Preparatory Process".
- "Stakeholder Selection Committee for the United Nations President of the General Assembly's informal interactive consultations on WSIS+10".
- "Research and Development Name list of the committee".
- "Relief operation conducted by Rayznews".
- "IRP Coalition Chairs & Steering Committee 2016-2017".
- "Activist Shreedeep Rayamajhi attacked and assaulted". International Freedom of Expression Exchange(IFEX). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "CPJ's concern on assault on Activist Rayamajhi". International Committee to Protect Journalist(CPJ). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "CPJ's concern on assault on Activist Rayamajhi". News Watch(India). Retrieved 2012-01-25.
- "Comment on IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal" (PDF).
- "Survey Report of VAW 16 Days Survey".
- "IGF Nepal Proposal proposed by Rayamajhi".
- "Recommendation of Rayznews for WSIS10" (PDF).
- "Report on Internet Standardization in Nepal 2014".
- "Why Quality of Internet Service Is Needed in Nepal".
- "Let there be lights".
- "No internet in Nepal".
- "Access Now Campaign Against the arrest of ISP operators in Nepal".
- "A facebook movement".
- "Protesting about political deadlock in Nepal".
- "Nepal Unites a facebook movement".
- "Attended Internet Governance Forum 2013 held at Nusa Dua Bali Indonesia from 22-25".
- "Head of Finance Sub Committee" (PDF).
- "Technical Committee Member".
- "Internet Society IGF 2015 Ambassadors Profile".
- "Internet Society IGF 2014 Ambassadors Profile".
- "A fervent desire for change".
- "Profiles of Blogging: How do Bloggers Around the World Practise their Craft" (PDF).
- "Recognition award 2012 for the best articles Part Three". GroundReport. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Recognition awards 2012 Part Four". GroundReport. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Recognition Awards April 2011".
- "Climate Change Blog".
- "Internet Governance Blog".
- "Women Outcry Blog".
- "Travel Nepal Advisor Blog".
- "Foodiemandu Blog".
- Profile of Rayamajhi in Internet Society 
- Rayamajhi talking the Future of Internet during IGF2015 
- Contributor of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) 2014 Best Practice Forum on Developing Meaningful Multistakeholder Mechanisms 
- IRIN News Short film Short Film on political deadlock of Nepal and ongoing protest
- CNNireport, CNNireport's coverage on assault on Nepali freelance Journalist
- Internet Society Testimonial for Internet Governance Forum IGF 2013 Indonesia Bali 
- Bryan Tan interviewing about internet uses and developments 
- Brief account of Rayamajhi's blogging career,
- Rayamajhi's Facebook page