Shrēṣṭha (Nepal Bhasa: श्रेष्ठ) is a Nepalese surname meaning "noble” or "great” in Sanskrit. Shrestha may also refer to the Newar caste of Shresthas who prior to the unification of modern Nepal formed the ruling and administrative Kshatriya castes in the court of the Malla kings of Nepal. They also counted among them the trading and business Vaishya castes, and were the pre-eminent traders in between Nepal and Tibet. After the unification of Nepal, Shresthas took up business and trading since their former positions as administrators and courtiers of the royal Malla court was supplanted by the invading Gorkha forces mainly of the Khas tribe. Shresthas are now one of the most dynamic communities of Nepal and have excelled in professional careers such as medicine, civil aviation, science and technology, government service as well as finance and banking.
Language, culture and religion
The word "Shrestha" was derived from Sanskrit term Shista meaning 'noble' or 'decent'. "Syasya" also means 'warrior' in Nepal Bhasa. Shresthas (or Syasya) served as administrators and courtiers during the rule of the Malla Newar kings that ruled Nepal for six hundred years – known as the "Golden Era" of Nepal – when much of the cultural and architectural development of Nepal took place. They took a prominent role in the governance and administration of the nation and fought against the Gorkha invasion. They also bravely contributed to protect their country Nepal from external powers like the Mughal.
Politics and civil administration
- Ganga Lal Shrestha – Politician, One of the four famous Martyr of Nepal
- Krishna Mohan Shrestha – First Inspector General of Armed Police Force (Nepal)
- Marich Man Singh Shrestha – Prime Minister of Nepal, 1986–90
- Narayan Kaji Shrestha – Politician, Deputy Prime Minister, 2011–12
Arts, literature and culture
- Siddhicharan Shrestha – "Yuga Kavi", one of the most prominent literary figures of Nepal
- Rakesh Shrestha – Celebrity Photographer in India
- Durga Lal Shrestha – Poet, lyricist
- Ganesh Lal Shrestha – Poet, lyricist
- Madan Krishna Shrestha – Comedian, actor, singer
- Shiva Shrestha – Actor
- Shree Krishna Shrestha – Actor
- Namrata Shrestha – Actress, model
- Sushma Shrestha – known by stage name "Poornima", Bollywood singer
- Bishnu Shrestha – Nepali soldier in Indian Army
- Ishani Shrestha – Miss Nepal World 2013
- Jagat Lal Shrestha – Educator, author
- Nagma Shrestha – Miss Nepal Earth 2012
- Sadichha Shrestha – Miss Nepal 2010
- Sarita Shrestha – First Ayurvedic physician, OB/GYN of Nepal
- Shristi Shrestha – Miss Nepal World 2012
- Asmi Shrestha – Miss Nepal World 2016
- Milan Shrestha National/Internation Player of Nitf Taekwondo
- "Sanskrit dictionary". Sanskritdictionary.com. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Shrestha, Name Meaning, Origin, Detailed Name Information & Meaning of Names at NameLab". Genealogy.familyeducation.com. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- Wright, Daniel (1877). "History of Nepal with an Introductory Sketch of the Country and People of Nepal". Cambridge. Retrieved 23 September 2012. Page 86.
|surname Shrestha. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|