Shrewsbury International School
|Shrewsbury International School
|1922 Charoen Krung Road, Wat Prayakrai, Bang Kholame
|School type||International School|
|Motto||Intus Si Recte Ne Labora
(If the heart is right, all will be well.)
|Sister school||Shrewsbury UK|
|Age range||3 - 18 years old|
|International students||40 nationalities|
|Education system||National Curriculum for England|
|Classes offered||Early Year 1 - Year 13|
|Yearbook||On the River|
|Affiliation||FOBISIA, ONESQA, BISAC|
Shrewsbury International School (Thai: โรงเรียนนานาชาติโชรส์เบอรี) is a selective  coeducational British international school in Charoeng Krung, Bang Kho Laem District, Bangkok, Thailand. It was established in 2003. Although it is an independent school, it is closely affiliated to Shrewsbury School in the UK. The school is divided into 3 schools: Pre prep school, Junior school and Senior school, which includes sixth form. The school follows the National Curriculum of England. It is considered one of Thailand's leading international schools.
Shrewsbury International School was founded in 2003. The current Principal is Mr. Stephen Holroyd, who arrived at Shrewsbury International School in 2006. Mr Holroyd worked at Shrewsbury School in the UK for 20 years, first as an English teacher then rising to be Deputy Master before his appointment to Bangkok.
Shrewsbury's curriculum is based around the English National Curriculum. The curriculum provides a structured learning journey from the age of 3 to 18 years. The Early Years Foundation stage (age 3 years) is followed by a sequence of 5 "Key Stages", culminating in the advanced A-level programme (ages 16 - 18). Throughout their years at Shrewsbury, students will develop a passion for learning and graduate with internationally recognized IGCSE and A-level qualifications that provide the gateway to the world's leading universities and colleges, including the elite Ivy League and Oxbridge universities. Among them are: US
- University of Chicago
- Yale University
- The Juilliard School
- Harvard University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- California Institute of Technology
- University of California
- Berkeley University of California
- LA Duke University
- University of Michigan
- New York University
- University of Washington
- University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- University of California, San Diego
- University of California Davis
- Brown University
- Boston University
- University of Southern California
- Rhode Island School of Design
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- Imperial College London
- University College London (UCL)
- University of Bath
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- University of Edinburgh
- King's College London
- University of Manchester
- University of Bristol
- Durham University
- University of St Andrews
- University of Exeter
- University of Sheffield Queen Mary
- University of London
- University of Reading
- University of Warwick
Shewsbury International School has a unique and wide-ranging programme of after school activities.
"You-Time!" activities are open to all children in Year 1 up to Year 13, are offered free of charge although some activities incur a small charge to pay for external companies.
"You-Time!" activities are split into three categories or communities.
Mind Matters: These activities develop an approach in which the the Creative Arts are appreciated, an international perspective encouraged, problem-solving skills fostered and critical thinking nurtured.
Lifestyle and Leadership: These activities develop an understanding of the relationship between a healthy body and a healthy mind, and appreciation of both independence and teamwork, the value of community service and leadership.
Finding a Voice: These activities to develop language skills, foster self-confidence and assurance in articulating points of view and arguments, and nurture listening and speaking skills.
By the end of the year all students will have developed their skills in all three areas and therefore will have a broader base of knowledge and achievements in the three communities. '
Facilities at Shrewsbury include:
- Library, with 40,000 books, CDs & DVDS (plus thousands more via online catalogue), separate junior and senior sections with study spaces and makerspace wall.
- Sixth Form Centre
- Auditorium called the Khunying Sumanee Memorial Hall, seating 580 people
- A Recital Hall located in the Music Department
- Music School
- Learning support zone
- Junior innovation centre
- A professional dance studio
- Interactive white boards in every classroom
- Fully equipped computer suites (Apple Mac and PC)
- Three gymnasiums
- Gymnastics hall
- Three tennis courts
- Two sports fields (one with running track)
- Three outdoor playgrounds
- Aquatics centre – including learners’ pool, junior pool (also used for water polo) and championship pool with electronic racing blocks and scoreboard
- Two dining room, serving hot lunches every day
As of 2017 the school had 1,600 students. About 70% were Thai and people from the United Kingdom were the second largest group of students. Well known Korean idol Chittaphon Leechaiyapornkul comes from Shrewsbury. He is signed to S.M. Entertainment under the group NCT-U. Leechaiyapornkul's stage name is Ten.
- Chittaphon Leechaiyapornkul (Ten), member of NCT (band)
- Patricia Tanchanok Good (Patricia), Actress under of Channel 3
- Myra Molloy (Myra), The winner of Thailand's Got Talent (season 1)
- Sarit Trilertvichien (Pea), Actor
- Arpasiree Chulya (Jacqueline), Golfer, Top NCAA and LPGA Awards
The school is accredited by the Council for Internationals Schools and ONESQA. It is also affiliated to the Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA) and is a member of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC).
- "Contact Us
- Mansell, Warwick. "Expat guide to Thailand: schools" (Archive). The Telegraph. 26 May 2010. Retrieved on 24 October 2015.
- Shrewsbury International School (official website)