Shrewsbury and Atcham (UK Parliament constituency)
|Shrewsbury and Atcham|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Shrewsbury and Atcham in Shropshire.
Location of Shropshire within England.
|Electorate||73,978 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Daniel Kawczynski (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
The constituency was established in 1983, replacing the Shrewsbury constituency, although this change was only in name not in its boundaries.
Component settlements and landscape
At its heart lies the town of Shrewsbury (population 70,000), which is the county town of Shropshire. It is otherwise a rural constituency. Villages such as Bayston Hill, Ford, Dorrington, Condover, Minsterley, Pontesbury, Bomere Heath, Wroxeter and Atcham are included. Its southern edge is the northern side of the Shropshire Hills AONB. The landscape of the constituency features many small rivers which drain the fields and coppices into the upper plain of the River Severn, cutting straight through the area. The main roads through the area are the A5 and A49.
On 10 December 2001, following his demand for a parliamentary debate before military intervention in Afghanistan, the incumbent Labour member, Paul Marsden, left the government's benches and remained with the Liberal Democrats until 5 April 2005 when he sought to show strong solidarity with Labour stop the war MPs by returning to his old party, the first politician to cross the floor twice since Winston Churchill. During much of his time with the Liberal Democrats, Marsden was a senior health spokesman, shadowing the Secretary of State for Health and ministers.
Members of Parliament
|10 December 2001||Liberal Democrats|
|4 April 2005||Labour|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|Labour||Dr Laura Davies||15,063||27.8||+7.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Christine Tinker||4,268||7.9||-21.1|
|Children of the Atom||Stirling McNeillie||83||0.2||N/A|
|General Election 2010: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|Liberal Democrat||Charles West||15,369||29.0||+6.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Burt||11,487||22.8||+10.4|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+5.4|
|General Election 2001: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Rule||6,173||12.4||−12.6|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|Liberal Democrat||Anne Woolland||13,838||25.0||−2.0|
|Country, Field and Shooting Sports||Alan Dignan||257||0.5||N/A|
|People's Party||Alan Williams||128||0.2||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+11.4|
|General Election 1992: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|Liberal Democrat||Kenneth Hemsley||15,716||27.0||−4.1|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||Robert Hutchison||16,963||31.1||−0.9|
|General Election 1983: Shrewsbury and Atcham|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||A Bowen||15,773||32.0||+4.4|
Notes and references
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Shrewsbury & Atcham Parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "UK parliamentary election 2015 results". Shropshire Council.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- General election results 2010 Shropshire Council
- Election 2010 – Shrewsbury & Atcham BBC News
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Shrewsbury and Atcham – Election results since 1992 The Guardian
- Shrewsbury and Atcham UK Polling Report