Shri Krishna Joshi
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Joshi received his Ph.D. in Physics from Allahabad University in 1962. Joshi's broad areas of interest are condensed matter and collision processes. His early research was in the study of phonons in metals and insulators. Later, he studied electronic states in disordered systems and electron correlation in narrow band solids. He has also worked on Surface states and Segregation in materials. Joshi conducted studies on excitation and ionization processes in atoms, ions, and molecules. His current research interests lie in strongly correlated electron systems, such as high temperature superconductors, and also in nanotechnology, especially electron transport in quantum dots and nanotubes.
Joshi has supervised the Ph.D. theses of twenty scholars and has published more than 190 research papers. He was Professor of Physics at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee from 1967 to 1986. He was the Director of the National Physical Laboratory from 1986 to 1991. In 1991, he was appointed the Director General of the Indian Council of Scientific and Industrial Research. After retiring in 1995, he was awarded the Sarabhai Research Professorship in Physics. He currently works on condensed matter theory at the National Physical Laboratory in New Delhi.
- Padma Shri (1991)
- Padma Bhushan (2003).
- Watumull Memorial Prize (1965)
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Physical Sciences (1972)
- CSIR Silver Jubilee Award in (1973)
- Meghnad Saha Award for Research in Theoretical Sciences (1974)
- Dr. K.S. Krishnan Memorial Lectureship of INSA (1987)
- FICCI Award in Physical Sciences (1990)
- Dr. Mahendra Lal Sircar Prize by IACS Calcutta for 1989 (in 1994)
- Goyal Prize in Physics by Goyal Foundation (1993)
- CV Raman Medal of INSA (1999)
- Kamal Kumari National Award (2011)
He was elected Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy in 1974. He was the Secretary of the Academy from 1983 to 1986 and its Foreign Secretary from 1989 to 1992. He was elected President of the INSA in 1993. He has been a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences since 1974, and was Vice President from 1989 to 1991. Joshi was president of the Indian Physics Association from 1989 to 1990. He is president of the Materials Research Society of India. Joshi is a Fellow of the Third World Academy of Sciences, and a Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- "Dr. R.A.Mashelkar Appointed Director General CSIR, Prof. S.K.Joshi Retires". Archived from the original on 21 September 2007.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- The Hindu, List of Padma awardees, 2003
- "Kamal Kumari awards presented". Assam Tribune. 25 November 2012.
- "Two-Days Workshop On "Quantum Mechanics: Theory and Application".